 Marketplace / Shopping / 1700
Re: Customer Service Desks (was Re: WalMart vs WalMart)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 03:49:25 GMT

Ben Olmstead/BEM wrote:

1) the customer is argumentative/angry
2) the customer is calm and reasonable, and is simply asking if we can
   do something

In the first case, almost everybody has a hard time being nice, even
though (I've found) being nice actually makes everything easier.
However, it's a pretty basic response to yell back when someone yells at
you, so I understand it.

In the second case, most associates will tell the customer 'no, we
don't', even though it takes no extra time/effort to do whatever it is
that the customer is asking for, and from what I've seen, the motivation
is saving the store money.  I think it's because service desk associates
don't see the store's direct monetary gain from what we do--we just make
people happy, which costs the store money *right now*, though those same
people then come back and spend more money with us, making up for it.

Ben,

My experience has been as follows: I always ask nicely. If possible I
try to speak directly with the manager. The ability to explain the
reasoning (of why I am trying to buy the entire stock of a discontinued
SKU) seems to get lost when someone lower goes "into the back" to ask
the manager for me. It seems to be successful 9 out of 10 times (on
average) when I speak directly to the manager. When they understand that
these sets have been there for 2 (or sometimes more) christmases in a
row already, they seem to be more understanding why moving them out the
door is "a good thing" (even if they do loose a few % on the sale.

Ray