 Marketplace / Shopping / 1255
Re: Tuesday Morning Sale
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 22:05:25 GMT

Eric McCarthy wrote in message <38331DE4.7FE8@aol.com>...
The grandpa guy in front of me had a 6281 on sale for $19.99 (argh)

For the number-challenged that is the Pirates Perilous Pitfall
which was about $70 retail.  That's about 70% off.

That is a better value than anything I saw at Tuesday Morning
in Fremont CA  (Janet, you didn't get one of those, did you?)

My experience was consistent with their previous sales, with most
items actually 25% to 50% off but pretending to be 50% to 83% off.
I got a couple of Technic 8277 Giant Model Sets for
$25 each (MSRP is $40) and a few smaller sets.

The best value I found was two 6334 Wave Jump Racers
for $8 each (MSRP was $20, that's 60% off).

The main reason I went was the advertised Adventurers set
2879 Treasure Raiders, with the gold mummy case.  Unfortunately,
that one was marked up from $20 to $30 before being marked
down to <sarcasm> the low low price of </sarcasm> $15.
There were plenty of those.

Other general observations:

There were a lot of onesies and twosies.  I got there when
they opened.  There was exactly one 6402 Sidewalk Cafe,
and exactly one 6404 Carriage Ride.  I guess this fact
combined with the fact that most of the items are hard to
find in stores makes it hard for most customers to find out
how misleading the price tags are.

I noticed that most of the sets had non-North America boxes,
without any set name or piece count.  One such item that
surprised me was a 6557 Treasure Hunters set.
This is the Divers set with the Metroliner nose piece
in white, and was not available in stores in North America
but was (is?) available from S@H.

/Eric McCarthy/

My experience was similar to Eric's.  I saw quite a couple of sets that they
only had one of.  My finds were

6821 Pirates Perilous Pitfall $20*
6402 Sidewalk Cafe $4*
6404 Carriage Ride $5*
6334 Wave Jump Racers $8*
6244 Armada Sentry $5
6557 Treasure Hunters $11* (European Packaging)

Sets with an asterisk (*) they only had one of.  If they had more I would
have bought more.  Now I missed the LEGO aisle when I first went in, the
LEGO sets were not located with the rest of the toys.  There were about 10
people who got to the LEGO shelves before me.  I passed on some Scuba Squads
(6556) which were $5, I'll probably regret that if the state of vehicles w/o
doors continues.

I passed on a number of other sets as they were either too common or of now
intertest to me (a fair amount of Fright Knight's and  UFO stuff) and there
were lots of basic bricks.  Some of the Freestyle sets looked like a good
deal.  I may go back and get some basic bricks.  I could not spend as much
time there as I wanted since I had an 8:45 AM commitment.  Grabbed what
looked worth grabbing and tried to get out.  There were quite a few people
who were there for the LEGO.  The real big seller was a train table.  They
sold 11 of them in literally 30 seconds.

I really didn't expect much to be honest.  I was pleasantly surprised.

Mike - mike_walsh@mindspring.com
http://members.tripod.com/mike_walsh