 Marketplace / Shopping / 12177
Re: Excessive exchange rate between US and Canada
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Fri, 8 Jul 2005 13:44:32 GMT

It is strange.  A S@H order used to mean paying US$ with a credit
card and getting whatever exhange rate VISA used for that day.

It's what we want.  It was like that before and they changed the system.  They
have created a segregation between the 2 countries instead of removing barriers
for the global market.

More than that, S at H managed in USA for both countries offer different Sales
and Deals.  For me, it's totally unjustified.

I'm not sure where you are getting the 40% rate from though.  I
just checked the pricing for #10143 Death Star as it should give
the most accurate ratio - it's US$299 vs. Cdn$399  ie. 25% not 40%

The Death Star is a bad example.  Take any other boxes in the stores.  Look on
internet when you ship in USA, the US price X 1.4 and sometime 1.5 and you will
be close to the CDN$.  But the real exchange rate since many months is around
1.22 and 1.25.  When you want buy for few hundred $ on Lego, it's a very
important difference on the total.  But the Death Star is different.  If you add
40% to the US price, it will give more than $400.  I think Lego doesn't want to
pass the $399 barrier for their customer market.  It will be look excessive I
think.

Good day
Andre