 General / 51197
Re: Excessive exchange rate between US and Canada
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 8 Jul 2005 13:31:46 GMT

Many global companies which do business in multiple countries set a
corporate exchange rate at the start of each business year. Despite the fact
that real exchange rates fluctuate constantly, the corporate rate is set in
stone until the next business year. This makes dealing with stock and money
transfers easier.
We do it at my company - for example, when I travel to the UK and acrue
business expenses, if I pay for things on my own credit card instead of the
company cc, then when I submit the expenses claim, I use the corporate rate
to convert from pounds to dollars instead of the real rate.

I guess the question is, was the real exchange rate somewhere close to the
40% at some time withing the last 12 months? If so then I'm guessing that
that is when their corporate rate was set.

All administration, stocks, Shop at Home services are managed from US.  When we
call S at H in Canada, all calls are redirected in USA.  It's not a question of
dealing with stock or money or repaid some expenditure during a business trip.
It's just and order taking in USA from a Canadian customer.  They only have to
take the call, charge the credit card in US$ and our bank will made the
conversion in CDN$ the day we buy.  Like any other companies in the world where
you can buy by phone or internet.

Also, they don't offer the same Sales and Deals in US and Canada.  They have
rationalised their business by closing facilities in Canada to reduce cost and
all our calls are forwarded in USA.  But for the pricing, they practice a
segregation.  But in Europe, in the euro zone, they practice about the same
pricing between countries.  Why it's different in North America?

In my opinion, it's a very questionnable politic.  Where is the global market?

Good day
Andre