 Marketplace / Shipping / 414
Re: Airmail vs Economy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 02:38:03 GMT

Hi Ray & guys !

Well, with over 60 packages of (new & used) Lego sent to many (14)
different countries  worldwide over the last 10 months I guess I can add
a few words about this issue ...

While the local postmaster has agreed to refund the difference, he is
still of the opinion that almost all mail from the  US to Australia goes • via
airlift. Although he said that 'economy' packages may go as 'space
available'.
This is exactly the same thing that is been told to us (me and my
girlfriend)
by our postmaster...

And here's our experience/s - package sent from Croatia/Europe (where we
live) to US via airmail takes  10-12 days and postage is really expensive ..

Surface mail (that we used for over 90% of packages sent) is pretty cheap
and to US regular time (until February this year) was 25 days after that it
changed (we don't know why) and it takes 5 to 7 weeks (funny thing is
that we sent one package on monday and it arrived on monday 7 weeks
later, and two other packages sent the next day - tuesday, arrived on
tuesday 7 weeks latter .. all of those packages were sent to totally
different states (one on east coast, others on west coast)...

What is funniest is the we never had (and hope it's going to remain so)
package sent to Canada (surface mail) that travelled more than 2,5 weeks.
Last one took only 6 days !

We had even better experience with other countires (surface mail in
all cases) Japan - 5 days, Singapoore - 4 days, Hong Kong -10 days
twice and 8 weeks? twice.

To Australia we sent twice - airmail both cases and it took about 12 days
as far as I can remember ...

Funny thing happened when we dealt with Selcuk (he replied below)
he sent us payment via arimail - it took 15 days form Turkey, we were
supposed to send him his package airmail too but something went wrong
(can't remember whatr it was) and it was sent by surface mail - and he
got it in 11 days !
- Btw. Selcuk , if you are arround - please mail me (those two sets are
still reserved for you :-)) !!!

.. Inside other European countries we had 4 days to Italy, 3-4 to UK,
about 5 to Ireland 18 to Germany??? and 7-8 to Netherlands and
Denmark!

So in our oppinion it's absolutely better to wait a bit more than to pay
(almost doubble for airmail) !

And another thing - airmail costs raise with every 10 gramms, while
surface mail have "rates" so you'd pay the same for (for instance)
2,1 and 2,9 kg (therefore it's better to buy more stuff when package
is sent by surface mail) ...

You can read about that on our Brickbay shop's main page (under
shipping )

http://www.brickbay.com/store.asp?u=dejan969

Enjoy everyone  !

Dejan & Nives

Lugnet #  595

So this leaves me wondering, do overseas recipients actually see a • difference in
delivery times for 'Airmail' vs 'Economy' (surface) ?

In this case, the package took 43 days to reach the destination.

Ray