 Marketplace / Shipping / 413
Re: Is there *any* way to track a standard priority package?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 18:51:14 GMT

In lugnet.market.shipping, Amy Hughes writes:
In lugnet.market.shipping, Mike Stanley writes:
I shipped a package to California on 3/31 that I am told by the
buyer never arrived.

Ugly situation. You might wonder if the buyer did receive it and is hoping
you'll refund some or all of his money. If it really did go missing, the buyer
might wonder if you really shipped it.

Well, I'm all for giving the benefit of the doubt, so I don't wonder
anything bad about the buyer, but on the other hand, I don't *need* the
benefit of the doubt about whether I shipped it - I have proof that is good
enough for me and probably just about everyone else.  The receipt may not
list the street address and name, but I don't have any other buyers in that
city or zip and I think I've proven over the years that I'm a man of my word
- so I did ship the package.

As for a refund of some or all the money, while I can see how someone might
think that would be "fair" I certainly don't, and have no intention of doing
that.  I had someone request and pay for insurance on a $14 package just
this past week.  I'll be the first to admit that I wouldn't think of
insuring a $20 order from another seller if I were buying, but neither would
I expect that seller to eat the cost of the post office screwing something
up if he could prove to me that he shipped the package.

Insurance isn't a good bet odds-wise, but it is always available, and it is
so easy now for items less than $50 that it involves literally no work for
me as a shipper - I just tell the clerk I want it.  For those buyers that
want it I do it, for those who don't, I don't.  But the choice is their's.

I never opened my brickbay store, in part, because I never want to have to deal
with this as a seller. It's my nature to make sure everyone is satisfied doing
business with me, so I'd feel obligated to send another package, or a refund.
I'm a chump. My only protection would be to insure every package, so my >minimum
shipping cost would be $4.60. Ouch.

I want everyone to be satisfied as well, but I also let people choose to add
insurance or confirmation.  I think I've proven that the service *I* provide
is more than satisfactory, but I can't guarantee the post office will
deliver the package any more than I can guarantee a dog won't come along
once it is sitting on a buyer's doorstep and snag it and run away with it.