 Marketplace / Shipping / 403
Re: Airmail vs Economy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 13:53:20 GMT

Ray Sanders wrote:

Recently, I sold some parts to a buyer in Australia. The package was supposed to
go airmail, but (apparently) went surface because the USPS clerk forgot to stamp
'Airmail' on the package. Airmail postage was paid for and applied to the
package. While the local postmaster has agreed to refund the difference, he is
still of the opinion that almost all mail from the  US to Australia goes via
airlift. Although he said that 'economy' packages may go as 'space available'.

So this leaves me wondering, do overseas recipients actually see a difference in
delivery times for 'Airmail' vs 'Economy' (surface) ?

In this case, the package took 43 days to reach the destination.

Ray

The important issue is not the means of transport, but priority to use
that certain means of transport, AFAIK. For the last three year, I have
been ordering books from amazon.com every month, and I always prefer my
order to be shipped via surface. It takes 1-1.5 months almost every
time, except two cases in which the packages arrived in  less than 10
days. I rechecked all the things but nothing was wrong. So it is
possible to receive packages in surprisingly less time, but in general,
air vs.. surface makes big difference when shipping packages overseas.
According to amazon.com difference is like 7-12 days for air and 7-12
weeks for surface. I received numerous packages from US (more than a
hundred including amazon.com shipments) and I can agree on this schedule
for the air shipment (it generally takes 10-15 days, but it includes
inspection at the customs) but for surface shipments, the values are
more optimistic than the above (5-8 weeks in general).

Selçuk