 Marketplace / Shipping / 394
Re: Airmail vs Economy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2001 19:57:07 GMT

In lugnet.market.shipping, Ray Sanders writes:
Recently, I sold some parts to a buyer in Australia. The package was supposed • to
go airmail, but (apparently) went surface because the USPS clerk forgot to • stamp
'Airmail' on the package. Airmail postage was paid for and applied to the
package. While the local postmaster has agreed to refund the difference, he is
still of the opinion that almost all mail from the  US to Australia goes via
airlift. Although he said that 'economy' packages may go as 'space available'.

So this leaves me wondering, do overseas recipients actually see a difference • in
delivery times for 'Airmail' vs 'Economy' (surface) ?

In this case, the package took 43 days to reach the destination.

While I've only been on the receiving end, I can definitely say that there is a
difference in speed between air and surface from Europe. In fact, I'm pretty
sure that "small packets" (a size and weight restricted class of international
mail it seems every country has) can travel even faster (I have so far received
12 packages from one German eBay seller who has a US friend who can accept
money orders, average turnaround time [time from when I send the money order to
receiving the package] is under two weeks, the shipping time I think tends to
be 3-5 days).

Frank