 Marketplace / Jambalaya / 685
Re: The Sad State of Minifig Box #1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.jambalaya
Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 1999 00:19:35 GMT

My thoughts on MFB1 and the general state of things.

When this box left me (after Todd gave me the stuff to partition as I
see fit) it had a lot of very beat up minifigs. The debate swirled
around what to do with it. I had already put some minifigs in the first
(or first 2) boxes which went out.

At that point people suggested we keep the minifigs separate and there
was a realization that there were OLD and WORN, but rare, figs in there.
I took a few classic space figs out myself and I was the source of a
timmy or two.

But I think that the box started from rather weak beginnings.

Jambalaya is a social experiment. Part of your money goes for being part
of the experiment... at least that's the way I see it.

The box that Chris Weeks originated, to my way of thinking, has a LOT of
common blocks in it which aren't a lot of good to me. Everything i put
in it is brand new, pulled out of set bags that I haven't yet sorted
into my bins. But I didn't mention it's state because it strikes me that
you take the good with the bad. I enjoyed the post cards and stuff I
found in it too.

Now, if this experiment fails because everyone takes the good stuff and
puts in less valuable things, that's a valuable outcome for me because
it validates the "tragedy of the commons"... and you know how I like it
when my pet political theories pan out.

But it's too early to tell.

If I could only choose one complaint, it would be that things aren't
moving as fast as some people expected they would. But guess what, we
have lives, so that's OK.

lugnet.