 Marketplace / Jambalaya / 56
Re: Equivalency Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.jambalaya
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 16:53:06 GMT

In lugnet.market.jambalaya, Doug Finney writes:
Christopher L. Weeks writes:

An easy hypothetical:  I take out five blue 2x4s and replace it with the
Fabuland taxi garage.  I've replaced five common elements with one
wildly uncommon one.  Is that fair?
What if those 2x4s were silver?  Does it matter that I decreased the
_number_ of elements?

Is it the number, the 'value', or the bulk what we're trying to grow?

Ultimately I think all 3 should grow but each individual's focus should
be increasing value, diversity and uniqueness of the pieces in each box.
Even if the piece count or bulk decreases in one swap, they should go up
over time. A Fabuland taxi garage for 5 blue 2x4s certainly sounds fair
to me. Replacing the garage with 5, 10 or even 50 blue 2x4s does not,
even though bulk and piece count would be increases by quite a bit.
Five silver 2x4s? Tougher question, though the issue IMO is still value
rather than quantity.

The term "thrill factor" sort of encompasses what I mean. Nobody will be
thrilled to find basic bricks in common colors in their box. Sure, people
might take them because they're useful to them but they're not hard to
find; nobody will say "oh, cool! I only needed 5 more blue 2x4s to complete
this Basic set I had as a kid!" On the other hand, several box recipients
might think "a Fabuland taxi garage? I'd get more use from 5 blue 2x4
bricks!" But I bet eventually it would reach the hands of someone who would
be thrilled to finally find one.

And that's where the diversity comes in. Most people might not want Fabuland
pieces but if there are also space, castle, pirate and other assorted bits
in there hopefully they'll find *something* to be thrilled about.

Doug

p.s. I've got a few Fabuland bits too - any Fabufans out there?

I have the same opinion. The Fabuland gargae may appear useless to many people,
but if the box would eventually come to me (I'm in the Netherlands, so the
shipping costs are much higher compared to inside the USA), I would take the
garage out and replace it with somehting which _I_ think has at least the same
value. This might be some parts from the 70's or a number of minifigs, just
depending on what I've got. So the number of parts decreases when you put the
garage in, but might become much higher when I take the garage out.

Further, I think most people don't mind that the garage is in there as long as
there is enough diversity in the parts. So when there is a lot of castle
related parts in there and almost no space, you might want to send it to
someone who uses castle a lot first and after he has replaced the castle by
space, town, technic, etc send it to the next one, so there is always
diversity.

Sybrand Bonsma
Unofficial Fabuland Homepage:
http://members.tripod.com/~Sybrand_Bonsma/fabu1eng.html

P.S. If you have Fabuland parts left over, look at my trade page:
http://members.tripod.com/~Sybrand_Bonsma/fabuland/trade.html