 Marketplace / Jambalaya / 1085
Re: General Box #5
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.jambalaya
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 15:18:39 GMT

Frank Filz wrote:

Christopher Weeks wrote:
I added the bundle of catalogs and manuals from the Weeks J, an old
motorcycle w/ a cracked fork, a bellville silver bucket with handle, a
baggy of bricks with eyes printed on them, a large baggy of slopes.  I
think it's leaving me with a little more value, a lot more choices, and
some paper.

Perhaps it's out of place to comment on contributions to the Jambalaya
boxes, but I will anywise...

You tricked me! ;-)

I read this at first and agreed that it wasn't your place, but that was
foolish of me.  The whole point of posting what I took and added was to
include the community.  Thanks Frank, your points are well taken.  I've
removed the eyes - and after my son refused them as a freebie, I tossed
them in my bag of junk for whenever I actually get a junk box to add to.

I would really rather not see recent catalogs (GB#3 had 3 recent North

I took out the recent one.

bricks with eyes and mouths. (How many people don't have a bazzilion
more of these than they need?)

So why do they make these?  We should gather everyone's surplus and send
them back to LEGO in a large crate.

Of course I'm never sure if what I'm putting in is reasonable, so
perhaps I should just go back to my corner.

No.  I'd rather foster conversation on the fairness of equivalency.
When I sent out my box for the first round, everyone who reported their
taking a and leavings seemed to have done so fairly, but when it left
me, it was worth (using modern auction prices) far more than when it
returned.  Maybe everyone cheated a little, maybe a couple of folks
cheated big, maybe a few people made honest mistakes.  I tend to favor
the last option, so we might want to provide more help to each other so
that the boxes don't all degrade into wheels and smiles.

Box weight needs to be kept to the point that the parts you take out are
worth the shipping. If shipping goes much above $5, it's going to be

I'd rather have a box that's $9-10 to ship because there's more of a
chance that I'll get something I want.  A $4.30 to ship box has to be
pretty value/rarity dense for there to be anything I really want.  I
have a bag of fabuland stuff (not figs) waiting to add to a J-box, but I
haven't seen one yet where the value would be appropriate given what I
wanted to take out.

hard to take out usefull stuff, and put in stuff which keeps the variety
in the box decent (I'm not sure we should be concerned with increasing
the value of the box, so much as keeping it interesting).

What's interesting?  Just a variety?  Interesting to me is clear bricks
and plates, fabuland figs, corner slopes, pink bricks and plates, raised
baseplates that I don't have, plants, castle walls, the slope with the
chicken from the recent Mcdonalds promo, silver bricks, old stuff that I
can't get now, and some other stuff.  Others will have  a totally
different agenda.

GB#3 is very marginal right now. I pulled a lot of wheels out (some for
Larry, some for Tom, and some with discolored or abused hubs to be saved

I wonder if I killed it with my wheels.  I made a fair trade with the
box and added the wheels on top of that, so my first reaction is that
it's a good deal for the box.  But it was kind of weak when I saw it and
if the wheels changed how the people after me were trading with it, then
it might have done some harm that way.

Oh well, we're all learning.

Chris