 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 9910
9909  |  9911
Subject:
eBay Anti-Sniper Strategy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 15:38:54 GMT

First off, I admit that I snipe on eBay auctions when it's possible, so
this could be a bit hypocritical.  Well, except for the fact that
sniping is perfectly within the rules and a reasonable way to try to
save some money as a buyer.  But I digress.

I'm going to be putting up a Mindstorms RIS 1.5 for auction, and
naturally enough I'd like to maximize the price I receive for it.  To
that end, what I'm thinking about doing is offer free shipping if the
winning bid is received at least an hour before the close of the
auction.  I hope that this will encourage bidders to bid higher,
earlier, since they stand to "save" $15-$20 or so on shipping.

Has anyone else experimented with eBay seller strategies?  Any comments
in general?

-Roy