 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 9924
Re: eBay Anti-Sniper Strategy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 20:49:42 GMT

I personally believe that snipping only works for the buyer if the other
buyers don't know have to effectively use the maximum bid system.  As a
buyer that means I bid whenever I want and bid the highest that I am
absolutely willing to pay (and then a little more for good measure <g>).
And then I try not to bid again.  It takes discipline but it keeps you from
spending more than you should.

If you bid your maximum and have the discipline not to increase your bid,
then you can be outbid by someone who does not have that same discipline,
like the buyers you describe in the next paragraph.  If you hold off and bid
the same maximum at the last moment, the other guy might not have time to
increase the bid.  That is why sniping is sometimes an effective stategy for
buying.

As a seller, the beauty of an auction is that there is an added desire on
the part of buyers to "win", not just get something they want/need.  I
believe that that is the reason a lot of stuff goes for outrageous prices.
Good old human nature.  As a seller, sniping seems to hurt when items sell
for less then you hoped, but I believe that for those cases, there just
wasn't the market I had hoped for.

IMHO,
Bob