 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 9915
Re: eBay Anti-Sniper Strategy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 19:20:04 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Roy Wood writes:
First off, I admit that I snipe on eBay auctions when it's possible, so
this could be a bit hypocritical.  Well, except for the fact that
sniping is perfectly within the rules and a reasonable way to try to
save some money as a buyer.  But I digress.

I'm going to be putting up a Mindstorms RIS 1.5 for auction, and
naturally enough I'd like to maximize the price I receive for it.  To
that end, what I'm thinking about doing is offer free shipping if the
winning bid is received at least an hour before the close of the
auction.  I hope that this will encourage bidders to bid higher,
earlier, since they stand to "save" $15-$20 or so on shipping.

Has anyone else experimented with eBay seller strategies?  Any comments
in general?

-Roy

I don't think the free shipping as you plan will be clear to the buyers, and
you could unfairly confuse them.  I saw an auction the other day where the
seller stated in the auction that the reserve price was really high, and if
the reserve was met the auction would have free shipping.  Also stated was
that even if the reserve price wasn't met, the lot would be sold to the
highest bidder anyway.  This strategy would work for your scenario too, but
you would need to check if this complies with eBay's TOS.

I think your plan to avoid sniping is a hypocritical though if you're going
to use eBay... why not just straight sell it for the price you really want?!

-- Scott
http://members.fcc.net/runkle/