 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 9921
Re: eBay Anti-Sniper Strategy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 14:50:37 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Roy Wood writes:
First off, I admit that I snipe on eBay auctions when it's possible, so
this could be a bit hypocritical.  Well, except for the fact that
sniping is perfectly within the rules and a reasonable way to try to
save some money as a buyer.  But I digress.

I'm going to be putting up a Mindstorms RIS 1.5 for auction, and
naturally enough I'd like to maximize the price I receive for it.  To
that end, what I'm thinking about doing is offer free shipping if the
winning bid is received at least an hour before the close of the
auction.  I hope that this will encourage bidders to bid higher,
earlier, since they stand to "save" $15-$20 or so on shipping.

Has anyone else experimented with eBay seller strategies?  Any comments
in general?

-Roy
Hi Roy,
  If you want to maximize the price you receive for it, then why are you
against sniping?  I believe sniping helps you to get the best price and more
in some cases!  If anything, sniping often drives the price above what would
be considered reasonable!  I could see being against sniping if you were
wanting to sell something for a fair price, but not if you want a maximum
price.  The only people who should be against sniping are the ones who want
to bid on something but are afraid of putting a maximum bid on it!  I
personally don't see anying wrong with sniping!  I think it makes the
auctions a lot more exciting.  But that's just my opinion.  I hope you
figure out what you want to do..
Good luck!
Tom