 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 5742
Re: wanted: 2x2 classic windows
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.trains, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 19:35:51 GMT

Duhhhhhh!!
In all my excitement, I forgot to post the website with the picture of the 352 Windmill
set with the white windows/door:

http://www.ebay.de/servlet/auctiondetaildConnector?page=eineAuktion&auktionsID=43487991

Gary Istok

Gary Istok wrote:

OK fellows, I want to chime in here for a moment.....

I can't confirm this one way or another.  What made me agree with Ben about this is
the fact that those 352 Windmill instructions show the different levels of the
building progression in different colors.  Here is the (ambiguous) brickshelf
instruction picture that is causing this debate:

http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/0000/0352/0352-03.html

Note the color changes of pieces as one row of bricks is stacked upon the next.  The
problem lies in the fact that we are only shown 1 sneak peek of the 2x2 window with
the classic door next to it.  They both show gray (I thought it was to highlight the
addition of the window/door to the building).  But we can't be sure with this.  Mark
says that he had confirmation that they are gray.  I talked recently with a German
collect who said that they were not gray (I think he said white).

But anyway we need to get someone to actually say "yes it is a gray window and door,
and I have one right here in front of me" (or better yet scan and post it).

............. wait a minute..... AH HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just checked German EBAY, and they have a  #352 windmill for sale, and it shows the
completed building pictures (not a catalog scan) from the back (where the windows and
door are) as well as front.  And in this example, it shows white windows/door  (note
the plates used for the sidewalk are gray).  So in this example,  the windows/door
are white.  This is not 100% proof, because the seller could have substituted.  What
we need is another #352 owner (or two) to confirm or deny this.

Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to say YES classic gray doors do exist in
this one and only one set.  (Oh, yes the gray windows are important to, but we know
10 of them come in a 7740.)

By the way, another very rare piece in the 7740 are the low sloped yellow corner
bricks, which also are only found in this set (only 4).  I won 18 of these on EBAY
last year (pricey!!).

Maybe with LEGO Direct we will one day be able to purchase a large quantity of these
2x2 gray windows as well as the low sloped yellow corners.  Maybe between Lar, the
train folks, other AFOLs, and myself, we should be able to get a production run of
both of these items.

Gary Istok

Mark Harrison wrote:

Hi Ben,

Wrong, as I received a 352 from a seller in France that contained the single grey
2x1x2 classic window. As we both agree to how rare it is, the seller would not
have just had one lying around and misread the instructions. The seller even
apologised that the grey door that goes next to the grey window was badly damaged
and he replaced it with a red one.

I have already confirmed that this set had a grey window and door with other
collectors in Europe.

Mark H.

Reinhard \"Ben\" Beneke wrote:

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Mark Harrison writes:
Up until recently it was believed that 7740 was the only set that contained • these
2x1x2 classic windows in grey but I've found one other set that contained one
such window, Windmill set 352 from 1972. There are probably others from this
period also that could have some.

Hi Mark,

very interesting news, but I fear this is just a problem in reading these
kind of old building instruction Lego used for a short period in the early
70ies.... These instructions show all new added items in colour, but the rest
in white.

New added white bricks have been marked as "dark white". And you have wrongly
identified these dark white window and door pieces as grey. It would have been
to good to be real.

So 7740 is still the one and only set with grey 2x2 windows.

Regards,

Ben