 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 3339
Re: I NEED A PITCHFORK!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 1999 00:14:30 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Kevin Maynes writes:
In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Mike Stanley writes:

What I do plan on doing, though, is modeling some custom weapons of
my own.  War hammers, double-headed battle axes, other things.  If I
can come up with enough ideas and enough good masters to warrant
getting my own vaccuum/pressure chamber like he has, I might even
produce them for others.

<snippage>

Here's a question for any Lego lawyers who might happen to be reading this:
(and for anyone who might have some insight)

What, if any, are the ramifications of molding and casting our own pieces for
Lego use? Not copies of existing elements, but new bits, made to be used with
genuine lego parts. I highly doubt we'd get tight tolerances at a hobby level,
but that's hardly required for bits such as the above mentioned warhammers and
battle axes, and so on. I myself am starting to think Stormtrooper Helmet. And
maybe Blaster Rifle. I've done this sort of thing before, making game pieces,
R/C car wheels, and so on, so I know it can be done. I just don't know if Lego
is as litigious (sp?) as some other corporate giants out there.

Any thoughts?

K.M.
Well, I hardly think they can sue you for making your own creation that fits
in with lego.  After all, how many other things have a dia of (xxx) to fit into
the lego hands.  Taking existing parts and modifying them _should_ also be
legal, since you are not using anything other than the stud spacing (or at
least, you are doing serious modification to them, and mostly use them for stud
spacing.

I really don't know all the issues involved here, but it is not very often
worht a companys time to track down someone doing it for fun and not for
profit.

James Powell