 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 3121
Re: I NEED A PITCHFORK!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 1999 22:20:30 GMT

Richard Marchetti <blueofnoon@aol.com> wrote:
Any chance of sharing the knowledge wealth?  Any "hobbyist-style" of producing
elements would be of HUGE interest to me, and I suspect to others.

Sure.  I might even have Jack write something up since he's the
expert.  Here's his website for the Star Wars stuff, btw:

http://jsmith24.home.mindspring.com/falcon.html

I have been given some sketchy, yet very useful, instructions about molding in
resins -- but from what I can discern there would always be some imperfections
(i.e. air bubbles, what have you).  My assumption is that the vaccuum chamber
is useful for making pieces without the air bubble hassles.  What of the molds
themselves?  Are these metal machined molds?

Well, I definitely will ask Jack to do a little write-up for me,
because I know my explanation will be imperfect.

Yes, these will be made of resin.  The air bubbles problem is
eliminated by the pressure chamber.  The molds themselves are made
of a liquid rubber that hardens overnight into a fairly solid
substance.

I doubt this type of mold will be appropriate for producing
interlocking pieces, but for things like minifig weapons/accessories
I think they'll be just fine.

What exactly is this pressure chamber and where can I get one and for how
much?

Well, not being into the whole thing and not being the kind of
person that hangs around hardware stores, I can only give you a
layman's description.

His pressure chamber looks like a big pot - clamps and stuff to hold
the lid on.  He has a fairly large air compressor that runs into it
(and I mean large - loud and huge).  He also has some kind of
doohickey that sits between the compressor and the chamber and makes
it a vaccuum chamber when he needs it to be.

Probably not a lot of help, but never fear, when Jack gets the time
to do this for me (he's doing his internship as a Latin teacher
right now, so I'm not rushing him) I'll ask him to document the
process and I'll put it up on my website for all to see.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?
http://www.guarded-inn.com/bricks/