 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 14049
Re: Solid Aluminum 2x4 Bricks!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 06:31:49 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Darrell Urbien writes:
Given the state of rapid prototyping and CNC machines out there, you could make
a whole bunch of "almost-LEGO" parts like yours fairly easily.

:: the usual "I am not a lawyer" bit here::

The point is that these aluminum bricks are merely similar, and not exactly
like lego bricks.  In law, tiny details matter a lot.  Even the tiniest
differences can render something unique under the law.  [This same issue
probably has some relevance to all of the LDraw.org efforts, but we'll leave
it to the side for now.]

Plus, while the lawsuits between TLC and Ritvik Mega Bloks fly -- it's still
fairly certain that the idea of basic bricks and their clutching engineering
is probably in public domain, or at least no longer protected as an idea
unique to a single company in the U.S., Canada, and a host of other countries.

Besides, these aluminum bricks are produced in few enough numbers to serve
more as homage rather than competition.  They are far below radar detection
no matter how you turn it.

Unless I misunderstood your point, there's nothing more here unless you want
to research more about patents and copyrights on your own.

-- Hop-Frog