 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 14046
Re: Solid Aluminum 2x4 Bricks!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 04:53:50 GMT

Hopefully by late next week, I'll be making some into keychains and engraving
them.  Enjoy!
--Bram

Not to be a wet blanket or anything, but how does LEGO allow you to do this?
If I'm getting your website correctly, you are making 2X4s that look just like
LEGO 2x4's, except they're metal, and they don't fit like LEGO bricks. And
you're charging money. How is this not copyright infringement? Wouldn't this
product compete with a LEGO product, should they ever decide to make metal
bricks? Isn't the 2X4 one of LEGO's trademarks?

Given the state of rapid prototyping and CNC machines out there, you could make
a whole bunch of "almost-LEGO" parts like yours fairly easily. I had always
assumed that no one would try, fearing a lawsuit.

Darrell Urbien