 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 14022
  Solid Aluminum 2x4 Bricks!

I've finally made enough aluminum bricks to start selling them. For product info, go to: (URL) if you want some cool wallpapers, go here: (URL) by late next week, I'll be making some into keychains and engraving them. Enjoy! --Bram Bram Lambrecht (...) (22 years ago, 30-May-02, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.market.brickshops, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.geek) !!

  Re: Solid Aluminum 2x4 Bricks!

WOW! Those are really impressive. I'll definitely be interested in an engraved Key Chain when they become available. -Mikey (22 years ago, 30-May-02, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Solid Aluminum 2x4 Bricks!

(...) I agree. My old worn red 2x4 brick keychain could use replacing by something a little more durable. Nice to see that CWRU education being put to good use, Bram! Adrian -- www.brickfrenzy.com (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Solid Aluminum 2x4 Bricks!

(...) I guess this redefines the word 'Bricksmith'. They look really good, but alas, should you not have cross posted to o-t.clone. ;-) Jude (22 years ago, 1-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Solid Aluminum 2x4 Bricks!

(...) Not to be a wet blanket or anything, but how does LEGO allow you to do this? If I'm getting your website correctly, you are making 2X4s that look just like LEGO 2x4's, except they're metal, and they don't fit like LEGO bricks. And you're (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jun-02, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

He gets away with it the same way that MegaBloks gets away with it. The patents for the basic bricks are long since expired. Troy "Darrell Urbien" <durbien@mail.occ.cccd.edu> wrote in message news:Gx609q.M6C@lugnet.com... (...) engraving (...) this? (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jun-02, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Solid Aluminum 2x4 Bricks!

(...) :: the usual "I am not a lawyer" bit here:: The point is that these aluminum bricks are merely similar, and not exactly like lego bricks. In law, tiny details matter a lot. Even the tiniest differences can render something unique under the (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jun-02, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Solid Aluminum 2x4 Bricks!

(...) To answer your question, Lego DID make a metal 2x4 brick made out of silver and sold them as keychains. They came out about 2 years ago at the Imaginarium Centers (this one located in Minnesota, Mall of America). I do find it funny that I used (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jun-02, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Solid Aluminum 2x4 Bricks!

(...) I'm not a lawyer, nor am I defending the beliefs of the guild. But I do know a bit about the Lego "Fair Use Policy". Some of the things in it... A) DON'T use "LEGO" in your domain name.....big "no-no" (anything with brick is acceptable). B) IF (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jun-02, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Solid Aluminum 2x4 Bricks!

(...) Darn, I am no expert ( DIANE ), but the BrickGuild and the BrickSmiths "get away with it" the same way that the used CD market and book market "gets away with it." The courts have some what determined that the re-sale of items by licensed (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jun-02, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Solid Aluminum 2x4 Bricks!

(...) I agree with most of what Todd speculates about with respect to LEGO(r)'s view of things as they relate to Guild of Bricksmiths(tm) operations as probably being accurate speculations (they agree with my own speculations about LD and TLC). (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jun-02, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Laws and Copying 2x4 Bricks, was Re: Solid Aluminum 2x4 Bricks!

(...) If it were fairly certain, the court cases would be over. (See below for some references within LUGNET.) Lego are taking the issue beyond the mechanical. It is certain that many patents have expired (including the minifig) in the US and other (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jun-02, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Laws and Copying 2x4 Bricks, was Re: Solid Aluminum 2x4 Bricks!

Well, gee Erik -- that was a lot more than I was willing to go into, but still nicely done. But I still think these things are sort of decided in advance even if they make some screwy turns along the way. There's a lot at stake right now for several (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jun-02, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Solid Aluminum 2x4 Bricks!

(...) This is what I was puzzled about. I thought they'd be particularly interested in the Aluminum brick keychains because they have a product just like it. So if no one seems to have a problem with making copies, why doesn't anyone make clones of (...) (22 years ago, 6-Jun-02, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Solid Aluminum 2x4 Bricks!

(...) The point is, he produced 22 bricks, not a few thousand. He is absolutely no threat to take business away from TLC. If he were pirating lego and selling thousands of them, of course they'll get upset. That he's not selling them as actual lego, (...) (22 years ago, 6-Jun-02, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Solid Aluminum 2x4 Bricks!

(...) I'm not too interested in a keychain, but an aluminum brick engraved "2002" would make a cool cornerstone for my next church project. I'll need two, though, for symmetry, and I'll want to engrave the second one "2003" in case I don't get (...) (22 years ago, 6-Jun-02, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Solid Aluminum 2x4 Bricks!

(...) But you're missing MY point. Where's the cut off? When he makes 100? 150? 151? 756? 2002? Would it matter if he wasn't so well known in the AFOL community? I think it opens up a whole can of worms when you start selling the parts, vs. just (...) (22 years ago, 8-Jun-02, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Solid Aluminum 2x4 Bricks!

This has all really been asked and answered, or are you just trolling or something? The 2x4 brick design is in the public domain. Even if it were not, the aluminum brick design in question is actually an original creation (note the configuration of (...) (22 years ago, 8-Jun-02, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Solid Aluminum 2x4 Bricks!

(...) Well, I was looking for more information important to makers of custom lego parts. I wanted to know where the "line" was - at what point TLC would come after someone. (I may not have used clear enough language in earlier posts). I was focusing (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jun-02, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Solid Aluminum 2x4 Bricks!

Darrell, I offered my views on this issue, with references. [1] I did not specifically defend the practice and I don't have a final answer either. My conclusion is that Lego construe their proprietary rights to be much broader than patent law (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jun-02, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Solid Aluminum 2x4 Bricks!

(...) I think this whole discussion hits hard upon a public interest issue -- works that may or not be in the public domain depending on what laws one follows (and as highlighted by the case of Eldred V. Ashcroft). (URL) you can go here: (URL) and (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jun-02, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Solid Aluminum 2x4 Bricks!

(...) But this question is undermined by the venue in which it is asked. If originality is the bottom line, why would anyone create anything in the vein of Blacktron or Classic Space or Ice Planet or the like? The whole point is that originality (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jun-02, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Solid Aluminum 2x4 Bricks!

But it would hardly be original to turn out pitchforks, or similar things. In that area I say, design your own. Bianca Nebab and Kyle Petersen for instance made custom helmets. There was a great deal of original design in the Intelliblocks line (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jun-02, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Solid Aluminum 2x4 Bricks!

(...) I think I must have slipped a gear during all this--I was still focusing on the 2x4 brick and hadn't considered how it extends to other elements. What if Bram makes a whole bunch of aluminum pitchforks? 8^) (...) Yeah, that threw me for a (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jun-02, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Solid Aluminum 2x4 Bricks!

(...) And along the same lines, am I the only one who thought the actual design of the Prancing Pony Inn was highly reminiscent of that of Guarded Inn (note, among other things, how the covered area is on the left and the walled open area extends to (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jun-02, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Solid Aluminum 2x4 Bricks!

Hi Bram, I really enjoyed the wallpapers you had up on Brickshelf, but I just tried to use the link given below, and I was told the folder was not found. Have you taken them down for some reason? -Joel F.U.T. set to lugnet.general (...) (22 years ago, 13-Jun-02, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.general)