 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 11069
Re: Yet another Brickbay thread
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Sun, 20 May 2001 15:06:16 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Dan Jezek writes:

Someone mentioned another webhost, maybe dedicated.  Can anyone recommend a
reliable one?

Lugnet(tm) is hosted on Pair, I believe, and I have heard nothing but good
stuff about them. However I believe it is not an IIS/ASP/SQL site. I think
it uses Linux underneath. Todd can speak definitively. Some other good
people to seek assistance/advice from are the Bogers, and Kevin Loch.

I would be willing to pay for a dedicated server except that
from what I've been able to find out, it costs about $1000 a month for
IIS/ASP/SQL server which is out of the question.

1000/mo plus the initial cost (you are the person who "owns" the hardware
and thus have to pay for it) sounds steep, I don't think Todd is paying that
much, but he may be.

Unfortunately he may consider what he pays to be proprietary.

Another solution is to host the site at home.  I could get the hardware and
software but the only thing I don't know how to do is to hook it up to the
internet so it stays connected 24/7 and the DSN numbers stay attached to the
server I would have at home permanently even if there is a power outage.

Eric Smith is doing this for his Northstar sites, which include the
bricksmiths.com site. He knows your chosen technology since it's what he
uses as well. However he is struggling with his phone company to get his T1
installed, it hasn't happened for some number of months.

I'll call Interland in the morning and try to get some sort of decent answer
from them.

Thanks for bearing with me in this strange situation.

I'm sure I speak for many when I say you have my deepest sympathy.