 Marketplace / Brick Shops / 1541
Re: Automated Inventory Ordering through Bricklink
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.brickshops
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2005 22:36:02 GMT

In lugnet.market.brickshops, Erik Olson wrote:
As a seller, I find this talk disturbing. My job is to take many sets apart and
consolidate the pieces. If someone can easily place an order for all the parts
from one set... An order of many lots of onesies or twosies is unprofitable
because it takes hours to fill.

Now nobody is going to pay the parted-out prices if they can still get the set
for a better price. But I fear one day I will add a rare but long parted-out set
to inventory (say, those 10 parted-out copies of 3053 Emperor's Stronghold in my
closet) and somebody's wanted list will go *ping* and fire off an automated
order for 197 lots of onesie-twosies. (This one is worth more as a set than as
pieces, but I don't want to put them back together. Anyway I am selling it off
bit by bit.)

Currently, sellers post their own policy about filling such orders.  This is a
gray area and there is nothing to stop someone from placing the order anyway.
Once the technology exists to do so, sellers will need a way to say "don't do
this in my shop."

FWIW Such a tool could be used on the seller side as well.  So all you'd have to
do was fill the order, or like was already said, set flags according to your ToS
to only fill orders of a certain size or more.  There's no point in speeding up
the process on only one side of the credit card swiper...hey - didn't I give you
a ride out to the LEGO outlet during Brickfest this past summer with that 16
year old (forgot his unique name)?

Also: Briktrak 2002 looks promising, but he was talking about an upgrade in the
works for a 2004 version last year.  Maybe we could bribe him to incorporate
this feature set into it!

I'll keep chiming in periodically.

Dave H.