 Marketplace / Auctions / 697
Re: Msg from DTRH - Re: "Exclusivity" at DTRH?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 12:20:50 GMT

Nickie Engle wrote:

Just an add'l note - maybe the exclusive policy was not a good idea -
I don't know.  It apparently doesn't apply too well to Lego, but I
still think it would be helpful in many other situations.

But regardless whether it was good or bad policy, it *WAS* what I had
told my original customers, so therefore I've got to stick by it, with
those customers at least.

You've got my vote for a businessperson with integrity. If you make a
committment you stick by it, all right, at least for the categories in
effect, unless you get a win/win agreement, that includes everyone, to
make a change.

Sometimes decisions we make have unintended consequences or put others
in a tough spot. But that's the way it is. There is no Utopia and life
is not fair. It's more important to stand behind our actions, and try to
work to find a compromise that has a win for everyone.

Gene IS in a tough spot. I see his perspective, and I sympathise. And
further, he should not take what I am about to say as pressure to
change. He should stick to his principles as he sees them. But I think
he's wrong. LEGO is NOT like Ty. Much less fungible. There is no way
that Gene and Mike would be in direct competition in very many areas,
the market is way too big and the supply way too small. We have so far
seen that auctions tend to breed more auctions and more interest, both
for pieces and for sets. Not many pieces have had precipitious price
declines (except maybe Timmy...) because of increased number of
auctions.

Stop the FDIC from spying on us! Go to
http://www.defendyourprivacy.com and sign the petition.
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.