 Marketplace / Auctions / 693
692  |  694
Subject:
Msg from DTRH - Re: "Exclusivity" at DTRH?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 23:53:50 GMT

Hello everyone,

  First, I'd like to publicly apologize to Gene & to Mike for (
inadvertedly) causing an uncomfortable situation for them.
I never foresaw or intended anything like this to happen.

Regarding the 'exclusivity' policy - as I explained to Mike in a later
message, I originally put this in place to avoid the possibility of
numerous auctions all selling the same type of merchandise.  I was
thinking of very popular items like computer software, Beanie Babies -
that sort of thing.   If you had 20 seperate auctions all at the same
location selling Beanies, they'd all be likely to get much less
business than if the Beanies were handled by just one auction.  But I
did want to leave it somewhat open - say, for instance, two friends
were both into Beanies but for the fun of it, each wanted their own
auction?  I figured, as long as both parties agreed, no problem.
(And no, I don't care much for Beanies - just using them for an
example)

Anyway, it looks like what started with good intentions, has caused
alot of hard feelings & trouble, and for that, I sincerely apologize.
Look, folks, I'm not some hi-tech executive, setting out to start a
mega-site like Ebay, or Amazon, or anything.  I'm an average everyday
person just like all of you, who happens to love working with
computers.  My auction hosting service was intended to serve two
purposes - help a handful of people have a 'specialty' auction that
they could have fun with & presumably make a little money with; and to
help me offset the cost of leasing my server.   To be frank, I'd
started the idea some months ago, it didn't really get any attention
at the time, I got busy with other things, so I'd put it on the back
burner while working on other projects.   One of the search engines
recently indexed the page, and several people, including Gene,
contacted me, and there it went.  But no, I'm not running some
thousand-employee corporation, eagerly seeking to host millions of
auctions - I'm just an average joe (or should I say jane? <G>) and
just wanted to help some people have a nice little auction, and help
myself a little bit in the process.   It might not be perfect, but
I've put *plenty* of hard work into my customers' auctions & I don't
think the auctions I've set up have come out too badly.  But anyone,
with a bit of patience & effort could do the same; as Mike mentioned,
I use EveryAuction, an *excellant* freeware script available at
http://www.everysoft.com/auction.  I've incorporated alot of addons &
extra code into the basic program, but again, anyone willing to take
the time could do the same thing.

Again, my deepest apologies to Gene, Mike, and to anyone else who's
been effected by any of this.   If there must be blame cast anywhere,
put it on me for not making my policies more clear-cut right from the
start.  But please, I hope, no matter what is decided here, that no
one here in the Lego group will have ill feelings towards one another.

Thanks for listening,

        Nickie Engle