 Marketplace / Auctions / 4125
Re: Cancelled bids on Ebay--what to do?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 15:57:49 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote in message <388DB0DC.9F29A441@voyager.net>...
As to posting negative feedback, I wish there was an easy way to
determine what a person has bid on to see if there's a pattern. Not
everyone is as together about their money as you or I so I'd cut SOME
slack but if there is a pattern, blast them.

It probably won't show canceled bids, but you can search by bidder, and you
don't just see auctions where they have the high bid, and you can see their
recent auctions (up to 60 days or more, even though the text says 30 days
worth, ok everyone, don't rush out and see just how much I've bid on
lately...).

It seems to me that eBay was going to be implementing some additional rules
for bid cancellation (including I think account cancellation for excessive
bid cancellation, and maybe also being able to track bid cancellations by
ID). I think I've canceled bids twice, once because I left out the decimal
point and once because the seller added a note about missing a sail on a
pirate ship (fortunately, the seller ended up finding the sail, and the ship
went for a good price, not to myself though, though in some ways, the seller
probably should have canceled the auction).

Posting neutral feedback if you feel the reasons are not reasonable is a
good idea.

I would also complain to eBay if there was a sudden last minute cancellation
of bids, that would seem to me to almost certainly be bid fixing. It may not
get one anywhere, but if it's a frequent occurrence, and enough people
complain about it, perhaps eBay will do something (a last minute bid
cancellation seems like a good reason to extend an auction a day).

Frank