 Marketplace / Auctions / 4097
Re: Cancelled bids on Ebay--what to do?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 15:02:52 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Larry Pieniazek writes:
If you're not willing to sell at the price that the lot ends up at, set
your starting bid high enough, or have a reserve in place that's high
enough, that you take what you get and are happy.

Yes, of course.  That's not the point.  In the case at hand, the bid retraction
almost gives people the same kind of information as inside traders on Wall
Street.  It's not that I'm going to be mad if I don't get a high price for my
goods (as long as I get a fair one); it's that I want a fair auction to
determine a good market value.  Bid retractions undermine that process, and
it to me is inherently different than just getting a lower price (as for your
4559).  You get a lower price in a fair auction, fine.  But bid retractions in
auctions with proxy bidding lead to an auction which is rigged against the
seller--not a fair auction, whether this is the intention of the person
retracting bids or not.

As to posting negative feedback, I wish there was an easy way to
determine what a person has bid on to see if there's a pattern. Not
everyone is as together about their money as you or I so I'd cut SOME
slack but if there is a pattern, blast them.

I've decided I will probably post informative, non-inflammatory neutral
feedback.  I think this should be the fairest way to deal with it.  I've
written the person who retracted the large bid (who is a new user with no
feedback, BTW) explaining this and will be curious to see what I hear back.

Alan