 Marketplace / Auctions / 4094
Re: Cancelled bids on Ebay--what to do?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 14:19:08 GMT

If you're not willing to sell at the price that the lot ends up at, set
your starting bid high enough, or have a reserve in place that's high
enough, that you take what you get and are happy.

I see a 4559 going for 175 right now. I only got 150 for my last one
(and I still have one for Scott R, just haven't closed the deal).

To me that's the same kind of pain as having retracted bids. Different
degree, but same kind.

Now, I'd say that if there is a pattern, or if there is signs that there
are shills bidding stuff up to protect the real bidder, go to eBay and
ask for Id cancellation or commission refunds. They'll laugh at you but
you'll feel better.

As to posting negative feedback, I wish there was an easy way to
determine what a person has bid on to see if there's a pattern. Not
everyone is as together about their money as you or I so I'd cut SOME
slack but if there is a pattern, blast them.

Alan Demlow wrote:

I'm auctioning a bunch of sets on Ebay and have now had two cancelled bids
by people.  This is getting annoying and could potentially cost me some
bidders.  In the last case, the cancelled bid lowered the high bid by
about $20, giving as his reason his finances didn't allow it or something
like that. If people have been paying attention, this obviously could cost
me a lot of bidders unless they're willing to pay $20 more than the
current asking price.

So what do people do in situations like this?  Negative feedback for
cancelled bids is the first thing that comes to mind.  Also, is it
possible to cancel bids up until the last minute?  I'm afraid that if
people do this toward the end of the auction, I could get stuck with bids
getting lowered and the price having no chance to recover, then being
forced to sell at prices which are uncompetitive (from a seller's
standpoint).

Alan

Alan Demlow |demlow@lightlink.com |www.lightlink.com/demlow/sale/trade.txt

--