 Marketplace / Auctions / *1338 (-20)
  Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work?

(...) If you dislike the feature that much, then you shouldn't support the feature. But it is a very good feature nonetheless, because it helps your bidders accomplish what they want to accomplish. (...) You won't make anything less harmful for (...) (25 years ago, 23-Apr-99, to lugnet.market.auction)

  ng for auction technologies/theory?

(...) Is that a case in favor of .market.theory or in favor of .market.tech? In my mind, ethical issues fit much more closely with what .market.theory means but not so much with what .market.tech* means, so ethics would be a case in favor (...) (25 years ago, 23-Apr-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.admin.general)

  Glen's Assorted Lego Auction - 4/22 Update

*** Many items are now sold. Balance of items will progress every two days until sold if no new bids are received. Can all winning bidders please notify me if you are finished bidding or want to bid on other items so I can let you know the shipping (...) (25 years ago, 23-Apr-99, to lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work?

(...) You can't eliminate Firm Bids, PERIOD. If I wanted a firm bid of X in an auction that didn't allow them, I'd bid a Proxy of X-minincr and X. That's a waste of bidder's time, is it not? I personally use Ebay (and of course at least half of the (...) (25 years ago, 22-Apr-99, to lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work?

(...) OOPS - I jsut did a "McDonald" - just kidding TOM (25 years ago, 22-Apr-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work?

(...) [snip] (...) Market theory could include algorithms, etc. but my initial reaction is - What makes an auction good, just, fair, well run - it turns into an ethical discussion for me - although that might not be a bad topic for here either. (25 years ago, 22-Apr-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work?

(...) [snip] (...) Market theory could include algorithms, etc. but my initial reaction is - What makes an auction good, just, fair, well run - it turns into an ethical discussion for me - although that might not be a bad topic for here either. (25 years ago, 22-Apr-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work?

Messages also help when a bidder is trying to bid on ALL lots of a piece, you only want ONE, and after the bids get ridiculously high, you find out it's because he needs "all the lots minus X pieces from the last lot", you only need X or less, so (...) (25 years ago, 22-Apr-99, to lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work?

(...) Which is the MUCH more likely use. -- | Tom Stangl, Technical Support Netscape Communications Corp | | Please do not associate my personal views with my employer | (25 years ago, 22-Apr-99, to lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work?

(...) Hey, that's a cool name that might work. Are these analysis/theory threads becoming too much to follow in a primiarly-non-discussion group? Are these discussions noise here? If so, then yes, there should be a separate group for this sort of (...) (25 years ago, 22-Apr-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.admin.general)

Todd Lehman wrote in message ... (...) unable (...) as (...) to (...) I don't know if eBay spends ANY time policing their system. I am sure they do, but its not evident. The feedback thing seems to be the main thing thats used. And if you fail to (...) (25 years ago, 22-Apr-99, to lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work?

In lugnet.market.auction, Todd Lehman writes: [snip] (...) From the number of the responses to this and a few other Auction technology threads, maybe we need lugnet.maket.technology group? (25 years ago, 22-Apr-99, to lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work?

(...) Sure, of course it's more honest if the bidder bows out honorable way. But not everyone is going to do that. If you allow people to renege on their high bid without any penalty or record-blackening, the result over time is many frustrated (...) (25 years ago, 22-Apr-99, to lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work?

(...) Sanjay's recent Maersk Truck auction is another good example. One early bidder bid $50 when the rest of the trucks were at $35. The $50 truck sold early and the rest ended up going for more than $50. (25 years ago, 22-Apr-99, to lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work?

(...) But now you're not talking about having to beat the proxy by the increment, you're talking about bidders being unwilling to go to the next increment level. That's a different problem, and happens in every single auction -- they end when no one (...) (25 years ago, 22-Apr-99, to lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work?

(...) But it is possible to bid $10, and see the bid bounce back to the other person at $10. So limiting bids to exact increments won't solve the "revealing the proxy bid" syndrome. I think you were more on track with the approach of raising the (...) (25 years ago, 22-Apr-99, to lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work?

(...) That's great! Thanks for pointing this out. Steve (25 years ago, 22-Apr-99, to lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work?

(...) can't (...) new (...) address) (...) I would contest that a more reasonable way to get out of the bid is to let the seller know well before the auction ends that the bidder is unable to pay for what he has bid. Then that bid can be canceled. (...) (25 years ago, 22-Apr-99, to lugnet.market.auction)

James Brown wrote in message ... (...) the (...) still (...) ebay (...) He did, and so have you. Like the government, everyone complains about it, but I am still glad we have it. I am a tad idealistic myself, but when any system performs its (...) (25 years ago, 22-Apr-99, to lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Proxy ratcheting: How do auction systems work?

Derick Bulkley wrote in message ... (...) 10% (...) Hey, that's a good thing to know! That large increment was my biggest complaint today regarding SC - if its adjustable, I think that is definitely a step up from any other on-line auction. 15% is (...) (25 years ago, 22-Apr-99, to lugnet.market.auction)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact