 Local / United States / Texas / Houston / 31
Re: Houston Area Lego Group:
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.tx.hou
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 16:23:14 GMT

Susan Hoover writes:
Doug Finney wrote:
Susan Hoover wrote:

I've been MOC-less recently, too. I do have a Lego room but *I*
barely fit in there, let alone a whole group of people. I could
probably stuff some more junk up on the shelves since that's what
they're there for.

Mine's about 12x11, big enough for 3 or 4 people sitting on the floor.
Um, yeah, there are some boxes that aren't on the shelves yet, from 40%
off sales. [1]

Mine's about that size but you lose a couple feet all the way around
due to shelving and drawer units and a banquet table. Then you lose a
couple more feet due to the boxes and bins of partially sorted pieces,
built but unsold used sets and new acquisitions. Oh, and the new light
fixture for the ceiling that I haven't installed yet because it requires
some electrical work in the attic and I haven't had time since it
finally cooled off. :-)

Re: sales. I found a whopping 3 sets at >40% off this year. One was the
big SW pod racer sets though so I'm still happy.

I don't think we need to decide on such things as frequency of get-
togethers yet. We can have one and see how it goes, then start going
"ready for another one yet? who wants to host? what should we do?"

Let's see how much interest we have before we decide who's hosting.  I
could host a very small get-together, say 3-5 people, but not till the
middle of February.  Does anyone have a good digital camera?

True, number of people could make a huge difference. I'm hoping to get
a digital camera before going to Legoland but haven't figured out how
much I'm willing to spend yet.

Oh, side note, I'm going to Legoland, CA next month (tentatively).
Hopefully I'll take tons o' cool pictures. I also hope to pick up
some of that nifty "other" Lego stuff - pencils, notepads, etc. I
can pick up some extras if anyone's interested, though I don't know
what specifically there will be to choose from.

Cool!  I went last March with a friend.  Silly me, I thought 2 rolls of
film would be enough.[3]  We ended up purchasing another 4 rolls at the
park.[4]  You'll need at least 4 - 6 rolls just for Miniland, plus
another couple to take pictures of the incidental sculptures around the
park.  Be sure not to miss the kiddy-ride where you ride a little
peapod boat through scenes of various fairy tales.  There are lots of
neat sculptures hidden along that ride.  The African safari ride,
although the line is very long, was somewhat of a disappointment.  The
car goes too fast for you to get a good look at most of the animals.
Also don't miss the workshop, visible from a tunnel near Miniland.
You'll drool over the rows and rows of drawers of pieces.  Plus, you
might get to see a builder at work.

Cool, thanks for the tips! If I do get a digital in time I'll probably
walk through the gate with 3 cameras (though I'll make my wife carry
one of them). And taking too much film is something of an obsession
for me. Those tourist rates kill me! Last vacation of mine was to
Cancun. Had plenty of film but had to pay $7.00 for a tiny bottle of
sunscreen.

Doug