 Local / United States / Texas / Houston / 30
RE: Houston Area Lego Group:
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.tx.hou
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 15:35:03 GMT

Doug Finney wrote:

Susan Hoover wrote:

I have been MOC-less recently.  I would welcome a chance to just
sit around and build with somebody.  Maybe that would help me get
some good ideas, both for things to build and how to build them.
IMHO, something that would be fun would be to meet in someone's
"LEGO room" (um, we all have one, right? :) ), dump a few buckets
of bricks on the floor, and start building.

I've been MOC-less recently, too. I do have a Lego room but *I*
barely fit in there, let alone a whole group of people. I could
probably stuff some more junk up on the shelves since that's what
they're there for.

Mine's about 12x11, big enough for 3 or 4 people sitting on the floor.
Um, yeah, there are some boxes that aren't on the shelves yet, from 40%
off sales. [1]

And, of course, if we did this, then the last part of
the get-together would be pitching in to return the host's LEGO
room to its pristine, sorted condition (except for any MOCs that
might have been created).

?!? Whose Lego room is in a pristine, sorted condition now? I wanna
see! In addition to not building anything recently I haven't sorted
the parts I've broken out of new sets or picked up used in, uh, a
really long time...

Mine is almost pristine, except for the train setup on the floor and
the ambulance-to-be in a pile[2], and the 3 or 4 cubic feet of boxes
and bins holding unsorted parts.  The last time I "played" in there was
for about an hour of sorting pieces.

I don't think we need to decide on such things as frequency of get-
togethers yet. We can have one and see how it goes, then start going
"ready for another one yet? who wants to host? what should we do?"

Let's see how much interest we have before we decide who's hosting.  I
could host a very small get-together, say 3-5 people, but not till the
middle of February.  Does anyone have a good digital camera?

Oh, side note, I'm going to Legoland, CA next month (tentatively).
Hopefully I'll take tons o' cool pictures. I also hope to pick up
some of that nifty "other" Lego stuff - pencils, notepads, etc. I
can pick up some extras if anyone's interested, though I don't know
what specifically there will be to choose from.

Cool!  I went last March with a friend.  Silly me, I thought 2 rolls of
film would be enough.[3]  We ended up purchasing another 4 rolls at the
park.[4]  You'll need at least 4 - 6 rolls just for Miniland, plus
another couple to take pictures of the incidental sculptures around the
park.  Be sure not to miss the kiddy-ride where you ride a little
peapod boat through scenes of various fairy tales.  There are lots of
neat sculptures hidden along that ride.  The African safari ride,
although the line is very long, was somewhat of a disappointment.  The
car goes too fast for you to get a good look at most of the animals.
Also don't miss the workshop, visible from a tunnel near Miniland.
You'll drool over the rows and rows of drawers of pieces.  Plus, you
might get to see a builder at work.

[1] I haven't seen any sales >40% off.

[2] The ambulance was needed because of a train derailment.
Unfortunately, it wasn't built in time...  However, the railroad
company thought it was prudent to have one on hand for the next
derailment, so one is under construction.

[3] This was before all of the reports of how cool the park is started
rolling in.

[4] At a premium, of course.  Plus, it is hard to find 35mm film at the
park when Polaroid appears to be a major sponsor.

--
Susan Hoover
Houston, TX