Re: Interim Trip Report - Part 5
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.loc.us.nc
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 04:14:15 GMT

Well, I guess this really is the final trip report, being written from
the comfort of my own home...

Last night was a bit hectic as I realized I had way over-bought and now
faced the prospect of trying to pack everything. The Rubbermaid tub I
had purchased wasn't even big enough to hold all the LEGO, even almost
all unboxed, and my largest duffel that I had brought wasn't going to
hold the rest. I tossed around ideas, rejecting packing an extra bag
($45 surcharge), thought about trying to mail stuff, and finally decided
to see what I could get for a box from the grocery store across the
street. Showing up 20 minutes before closing was a brilliant move, they
were in the midst of re-stocking, and it didn't take too much effort to
score a large box (helping the stockist unpack it). The next brilliant
decision was to stuff as much as possible into the Ferrari boxes, which
brilliantly fit almost perfectly into the box (2 Ferrari boxes side by
side just about filled the bottom of the box). It even worked out
perfect for the 50x50 base plates. Almost all of the rest of my luggage
fit in the tub. See the picture at:

The 3033 tub I had brought originally - about half full of LEGO, now,
with different contents went into the Rubbermaid tub, so the big box,
which is almost full of densely packed LEGO (I even compressed many of
the bricks by stacking them instead of just tumbling them in), just
about represents the volume of LEGO I bought (it's a little more than
what I bought since the 3033 tub holds some unopened sets, representing
much less LEGO than what I brought out in it). Tomorrow I'll probably
take some pictures of everything I brought home with me.

The trip home was not quite as screwed up as the trip out. Turning in
the car at Hertz was painless, they were done with checking it by the
time I had unloaded all my stuff onto a cart which was very handily
about 20' from where I parked. Getting up to the ticket counter was a
bit painful since they didn't have any carts there, but once I got
inside, I just stacked everything on top of the Rubbermaid tub and it
dragged pretty well across the carpet. The big hitch was that the flight
was delayed about an hour and a half. Once in Raleigh, there wasn't too
much hassle (though a hustling skycap offered to fetch me a cart for $2
instead of me taking one from the rack for $2 - I actually probably
should have stepped outside and got one off the curb). I had brilliantly
parked relatively close to the bus stop in the parking lot, so I just
carried my stuff (in 2 trips) 30' down to the row I was parked in, and
then walked down and brought my car up (I figured it was pretty safe
since the row dead ended at the bus road so it wasn't going to be easy
for someone to swoop in and grab my stuff).

Frank