Re: Interim Trip Report - Part 6 - The Loot!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.loc.us.nc
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 05:48:00 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I got around to taking pictures of the loot for the trip:

loot-01: A bunch of red 1x10 plates purchased from Cary Clark minutes
(well, hours) before leaving Raleigh.

loot-02: Dan Velasco (uncledan on eBay) invited me over to paw through
the stuff he gathers for sale on eBay and at Baylug meetings. Here are
some instructions and catalogs I purchased.

loot-03: The parts I purchased from Dan that night. The close-up is of
the Fabuland parts.

loot-04: The parts I bought from Dan at the Baylug meeting. All the
parts below and including the plates were from the $8/pound "bulk" LEGO
(which Dan spills out on the floor), the Fabuland parts (shown also in
the close-up) I had separated out at his house and he brought along for
me to buy at the meeting).

loot-05: Space Police II I bought at the meeting from Dan (having passed
it up at his house)

loot-06: Some stickered parts I bought from Dan.

loot-07: Roger Rothhaar had some red 1x4 plates with tow ball for me for
my Red Seas Barracuda.

loot-08: I bought a lot from Paul Gyugyi. I have been looking for those
50x50 road plates, which were the first road base plates, for some time,
he also gave me the 50x50 green base plate. Yes, those dimensions are
correct, 50x50, not 48x48. I will be cutting some newer LEGO road plates
in order to work these into a normal layout (I'm not going to cut up the
50x50 plates). The close up is the parts I scored out of a parts box
that a bunch of us were rooting through.

loot-09: Roger Rothhaar had brought along the Jambalaya Space Box, so I
pulled out a few parts.

loot-10: Dave Simmons brought along a bunch of stuff. I had responded
too late to get the Blacktron I sets, but I got some nice parts. You
will observe that I fed my classic window fetish as well as my old door
fetish (those yellow/clear doors are in great shape).

loot-11: Ali Vahidsafa had brought some Kabaya sets to sell, so I bought
a Space pack and a Castle pack.

loot-12: Mark Benz had several boxes of sets for sale. I expanded my Ice
Planet collection as well as picking up some Castle and Pirate sets. I'm
slowly working towards having all the regular Royal Knights sets and all
the regular Dragon Masters sets (I probably won't ever get all the promo
sets in those sub-themes).

loot-13: Mark Benz also had some freebies (at least I think the red box
came from him - Tom Stangl had grabbed it at one point and gave it to me
at the end realizing he didn't really need it, not that I really needed
it either...), I got an empty Ice Planet box to go with a set I already
have but didn't have a box for. Of course after I took the empty box, I
ended up buying the two complete sets he had also...

loot-14: I went back over to Dan's again Monday (or maybe it was
Tuesday), and saw the stuff in his garage. I pawed through a bunch of
stuff and grabbed a nice stack of base plates.

loot-15: Some LEGO storage boxes (I find these boxes pretty useful, I
now have 5 of the 3 main compartment ones and 2 of the 2 main
compartment ones.

loot-16: And some more parts. Between the two trips to Dan's I managed
to get two red 2x16 plates which will strengthen my Red Seas Barracuda
(right now part of the deck uses two pairs of red 2x8 plates).

loot-17: On Wednesday, I visited a friend who is studying at the Pacific
School of Religion in Berkeley. On the way back, I stopped off and paid
Paul Sinasohn a visit to pick up the old gear lot he and I had split
from eBay. He also had added some old wheels to the lot and had a Soccer
Truck brick and a 9V siren module for me.

loot-18: And now we start with the stuff I bought at stores. Here's the
large Shell sets I bought.

loot-19: And the small Shell sets.

loot-20: The Life On Mars sets that I bought when I decided I wanted to
build a Martian walker.

loot-21: The older Star Wars sets (I bought the A-Wings because I
thought I would do something to improve upon my red ship, and the others
for some more tan parts for the Martian walker).

loot-22: Two Robo-Riders (K-Mart BOGO sale, bought of course for the
teal katanas and the trans-light-blue spears), and the Basic lap desk
with the Timmy and green wizard's hat (the lap desk ended up in the
trash - it was too big for my carry on duffle and there wasn't room
anywhere else, and it was too late to pawn it off on someone - no big
loss though).

loot-23: And the 2001 Star Wars, which means that of the regular January
2001 sets, the only one I don't have before 2001 even starts is the big
Martian base.

So now you've got an idea of why I wound up with that huge box!

I must say that had I known there would be a handy Shell station which
was well stocked, I probably would not have carried out quite so much,
but that would have only helped a little.

Frank