Re: Interim Trip Report - Part 4
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.loc.us.nc
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 17:36:11 GMT

Another installment...

Tuesday night I went up to Berkely to have dinner with a friend who is
in seminary at the Pacific School of Religion. I made a slight mistake
in really only allocating an hour for the drive when an hour and a half
is really necessary at the tail end of Rush Hour (I left my hotel room
at about 6:30).

After a nice Thai dinner and taking in the view from the roof of my
friends dorm, I hit the road. I had arranged to stop over at Paul
Sinasohn's. He has an impressive collection, though most of it is
unsorted and stashed in rooms and the basement (and the garage which he
didn't show me). I saw LOTS of large classic spoked wheels. He sent me
off with the old gears that we had split an eBay lot and a few other
goodies. He also showed me a couple of the 2001 Star Wars sets
(unopened) which he had found in a Walmart.

Wednesday night, based on Paul's finds, and a post about 2001 sets in
Target in Colorado, I went shopping. The first stop was the Wal-Mart
near the hotel. I got all the Star Wars sets except Watoo's Junkyard.
They are pretty cleaned out (only the droid carrier and a few Tie
Fighters left). The next stop was the TRU on Blossom Hill Rd. No luck
there (though plenty of Life on Mars and Studio). Then I wend up to the
Target on Hillsdale (or something like that). They had a small amount of
Life on Mars, plenty of Watoo's Junkyards and plenty of droid carriers.
I got a Watoo's Junkyard, two more Escape Pods, and a second Imperial
Shuttle.

After getting home, I built a bunch of the sets. Things I like:

Watoo's Junkyard: nice pod racers, more green (though I'm going to get
very tired of green 4x4x2 cones), Watoo is neat (cool parts are light
blue legs and arms), 4 yellow 1x3x1 car doors, the 8x8 disk with 4
center studs (the intakes on the green pod racer - I thought they would
be radar dishes, but the disks will be just as useable), white 1x1 tiles
(3), tan 1x1 data pad tile (2 - nice to get the extra!), red space
wheels, 2 each or red and blue 4x4 quarter circle plates, several other
nice parts. One weird bit is that the instructions don't show you how to
make the green pod racer complete, but the parts are all there, you just
need to dissasemble the little arch bit with the tool holder to get the
tan plates and bricks for the frame. The frame is the same one as for
the white and blue pod racer. This set will probably be a better parts
set than the Mos Espa Podrace.

Escape Pod: 4x4 quater circle plates, 4x4x5 quarter circle wall, tiles,
a few other bits. Decent design but simple.

Droid Carrier: brown 3x3 quarter octagon brick (new part - from the
picture I expected the 3x3 diagonal brick - this part will be cool for
making trees using the brown castle wall corners).

AT-ST: Chewbacca, grey canopy extension, 3 2x2 round printed tiles (2
designs), grey light sabre handles, a few other parts. As others have
mentioned, the design is a little lame, though it looks ok, it just has
poorly designed legs (compared to the Life on Mars mechs).

Imperial Shuttle: (I didn't build this yet) lots of white 1x4x1.3
rounded top edge brick w/1x4 plate extension, Imperial Guards, much
more.

I'm going to be regretting all these purchases. I bought a big
Rubbermaid tub which I will be packing with LEGO, and a roll of tape to
seal it all up. I hope it ships ok. I was looking for a sturdier tub,
but didn't find anything. I wanted to go the tub route so that it has
nice handles since I'll have to do a little walking with all my stuff.
I'll pack the rest of my stuff into a duffle which will sit on top of
the tub, and a backpack for my carryon. Fortunatly, for the most part,
none of my walks will be longer than a hundred feet or two.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com