Re: evolving Fabuworld .ftx page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nc
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 15:52:28 GMT

sheree rosenkrantz wrote:

In lugnet.loc.us.nc, Cary Clark writes:
Sheree, if Frank bullies you into deciding that you want a nine volt train,
or some parts of one, I definitely can help you out. Cheap. Also, I was
wondering about your train's wheels. In its current form, would you prefer
yellow ones?

Cary

Sounds perfect!  Cheap train parts from you and I get to blame Frank :-) for
talking me into spending the money...

I have modified the engine, added a tipper coal car and added a bay window
luxury car.  The wheels I have now are the twisted time train ones - 3 pairs
of wheels on the engine now  with pr 1 and 3 connected by a yellow bar which
has a nice motion when the engine is pushed.

I would like to have all the cars with real train wheels and the correct
connectors for a functioning train.  Color would be  subordinate to function
for me.

I am thinking that if I can get a working  track layout and train for my
younger daughter for the holidays, then occasionally she might let me run my
FV 55 on it  assuming  I am able scrounge up the  necessary wheels/ connectors
and ???  it takes to make a real train.  What else would I need?  Motor...?
Heck if I know now...

What you would need:

1 train motor ($25 through S@H, probably cheaper if one of us has an
extra, I probably could spare one or two)
2 wheelsets per car (your cars are short enough to be 4 wheel - $3 per
pair through S@H, possibly cheaper if one of us has an excess, not sure
where I stand on that, probably do have extras)
1 set of buffers and magnets per car plus one for the engine ($3 per
pair through S@H)
1 controller with connection wire ($42 through S@H, you should be able
to find one for under $20, perhaps as low as $10 [the MA13 auction has a
couple starting at $10], I could loan one, but don't quite have an extra
[I intend to use the power warts from some of mine to run RCXs, and also
use one or two controllers to run accessories])
A minimum of two boxes of curved track ($26 through S@H, I'll sell you a
circle for $10 which would save you $2 if you thought about buying a
track kit instead of buying individual boxes of track - the track kits
come with 2 boxes of curved track and save $14, I've got tons of extra
curved track from $60 4565s...)

Now if you bought a 4561, you would get:

1 train motor
4 pairs of wheel sets
2 sets of buffers and couplers (plus an extra coupler for the engine)
1 controller
2 boxes of curved track
2 straights

Total value of the above considering best possible discounts: $51,
possibly more like $60. For the rest of the $130 price of 4561 you would
get over 600 more parts including 2 pairs of bogie plates and 2 drop
center car plates. Hmm, looks like if one doesn't have any train stuff
at all, 4561 is actually a decent deal even at list price (but it isn't
such a good deal if you're already swimming in controllers and curved
track).

So I think my suggestion is keep an eye on your local TRU and Target and
buy a 4561 if it's getting close to Christmas and you haven't found a
4565 somewhere else, and in the meantime, look for a good deal on a 4565
(it might be worth finding out if the Potomac Mills LEGO Outlet would
still give a bargain on them, they had them on sale this summer). In the
meantime, if you want to get some trains up and running, borrow some
parts from Cary or I.

Frank

--
Frank Filz