 Local / United States / California / San Francisco / San Jose / 96
Re: Train Module at BayLUG
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf.sj, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 15:57:23 GMT

Mike,

Do you have the lattice structure BMP file that the GMLTC used to build their
layout?

Thanks
Jim

In lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf.sj, Mike Poindexter writes:
In lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf.sj, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Mike Poindexter wrote:

Would people be interested in seeing how the GMLTC modules are made?

Na. I already know and I have the bloody knuckles to prove it.

just kidding.

Seriously, how do you know you're on the right track? While John G
posted some of the details regarding modules (2x3 of the 15 inch base
plates, track insets, how many bricks high it is) I didn't think that
the documentation available (say on my web site) would admit of a 100%
accurate construction.

Well, I guess it depends on how accurate you want to be. Are you trying
to get details like the lattice structure right? How about where the
power controller cutouts are?

Or are you just trying to get "close" in look and feel.

I got the lattice structure that is used in the GMLTC from John Gerlach.  He
sent me a .bmp file that showed how it goes together.  I made the power
controller cutouts myself, but they look pretty close.  Then only change I
made was to make my baseplate cover fit perfectly.  Now it can have one of the
yellow baseplates from the K-Mart value pack as a cover, which matches the
yellow in the inside wall.  The main thing is getting track and the outer wall
to line up.

Actually, the GMLTC modules don't match eachother.  Some have a "lightning"
pattern of black on the edge while others have the "spots" of black.

I would think as long as the track center spacing was right, and the
height of the module was right, and the number of studs in from the edge
the track is offset by (a piece of track spans each module border) you'd
be able to interoperate, no matter what internal structure you had.

Actually, mine ARE a little different.  To add depth to my town layout, I am
running the track across the 30" side with the 45" giving me more space to
make my buildings and streets.  I am just protruding the extra 15".  My
modules will basically have to go together, sort of like the strip mine has to
be together.  I think they are best that way, as there is a semblance of
continuity.

neat idea... I may have to see if I can build one too (but I think
probably I don't have enough basic bricks to do it)

Please!  Mr. half million bricks can't make one module!  You can do at least
one, can't you Lar?

Mike