 Local / United States / California / San Francisco / San Jose / 100
Re: Train Module at BayLUG
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf.sj, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 18:32:40 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf.sj, Ben Roller writes:
In lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf.sj, John Gerlach writes:
I just sent the .bmp file to Jim - would there be any interest in me posting
it to brickshelf?  It's not a complicated system - it just requires a LOT of
basic bricks...

Yes, please do.  I was just wondering about this and reading over the old
threads last night.

Ben Roller
Done.  Check it out at

From left to right:  Dark grey are the 2x2 'towers'.  Green is the outside
wall of the section, built from 2x4 bricks.  Light grey is the 'grid', notice
how each 2x4 is attached to two towers, or a tower and the side wall.  The
blue 1x4 bricks are on the same level as the grid.  Red is the top layer
(ground level), each of these 2x4 bricks is supported by 6 or 7 studs on the
grid.

The system is about 90% air, but it's strong enough that we have pictures of
people standing on top of completed sections.

We build our towers between 5 and 7 bricks tall.  Any more and the system
loses strength because it gets too flexible, any less and you're adding weight
because of the grid.  So for our 20 brick tall layout sections, it's 6 brick
tall tower, grid, 5 brick tall tower, grid, 5 brick tall tower, grid, top
layer = 20 bricks tall.

You can also do the same thing using 2x6 bricks for the grid, it just makes it
a little more difficult to cover up the top.  (The 8x16 'basebricks' work very
well for the ground layer.)

Credit goes to Conan, he came up with the original grid & tower system.

JohnG, GMLTC