 Local / United Kingdom / 7624
Re: NBLTC - baseboard standards
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 21:24:52 GMT

I've got a suggestion about the boards - particularly for those who want to
permanently lay one out.  Keep the ends of the track half a straight in from
the edges of your board.  Then, add a loose straight when you bring them
together.  This saves you having to shuffle tables around to a fraction of a
mm to bring them together, and means you don't have track connectors hanging
over the edge of the board when you're moving them around - you can stand
the board on-end then without damaging stuff.

So, your smallest curve on a fixed layout would have an extra straight
between each 1/4 circle - don't know if this affects the overall board size
though.

Jason J Railton

Thanks Jason.

I don't think we've even considered damage to the tracks when stood on end.
Your suggestion would add a little to the baseboard width though, which was
ideally going to fit through a domestic doorway without tilting. If we kept
to the current module size, but got into the habit of removing the end track
pieces (curved or straight) before transportation, we could still avoid the
potential damage. Same goes for the buildings, too - but there are two
schools of thought on this;

1) The 'modules' are simply uniform tables which are bolted together and
pre-built lego buildings/scenery and track is placed in to the desired position
prior to operating.

2) The 'modules' are in fact modules: in other words a complete pre-built
scenic unit several bricks deep to allow for subways/underground trains etc.

On a purely cost/time basis, I prefer option 1 but it's up for discussion at
the meeting in any case.

The alignment of the tables will allow for some adjustments, we are also
planning to use slightly under-length sections with a thin foam or rubber
'cap' to cover each end. This will hopefully take up the (very
small)tolerance taking into account the joinery skills of the average AFOL.

Jon