 Local / United Kingdom / 7508
7507  |  7509
Subject:
NBLTC - baseboard standards
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Sun, 16 Dec 2001 16:10:41 GMT

On Sun, 16 Dec 2001, Jonathan Reynolds (<GoEtCA.8GL@lugnet.com>) wrote
at 00:00:10

I for one could be tempted into co-operating with others on a more concrete
Lego train layout.

Hence the requirement for a standard 'module' size

OK, sorry for the delay - too many Christmas do's :-)

After much discussion, crawling about on the floor, measuring, playing
with Track Designer (why have I never downloaded this before? Great
tool, thanks Matt :-) and eating gorgeous home made cookies, Jon and I
came up with the following basic idea. A lot of this is similar to the
PNLTC, but we've been through it all ourselves, and it makes sense to
us.

- Base board modules will be five track lengths wide by ten long. This
equates to 1278mm by 639mm. The reasons for this size are as follows:

+ making the board sizes multiples of track lengths means that if you
want, you can 'pre-build' and just bolt together on arrival.

+ having the short side : long side ratio at 1:2 means that you can bolt
the modules together on long sides or short sides, in exactly the same
configurations as 2x4 bricks.

+ a 639mm wide board will fit through a standard British domestic
internal doorway, without having to be tipped.

Actually, I've just remembered. The modules will be slightly smaller
than this, so that a foam plastic buffer can be inserted in the gap
between two boards. This is so that we can make small adjustments in
length, if required, and the boards will still be bolted tight together.

- The height of the top of the baseboard will be 900mm.

+ Adults won't get backache from having to bend over.

+ It's possible to reach to the back of a module without leaning on
anything.

+ this height is still eye level or lower for most children.

- Legs will be built in pairs, and will bolt onto the boards & support
the joints on assembly. Spacers will be used in place of another board,
where the legs are on an outside edge.

+ Modules will be much less cumbersome & easier to transport without
legs attached.

+  Location & lineup of modules will be much easier if it is defined by
the tops of the legs.

Here are some additional thoughts, relating to the above proposal in
relation to LEGO geometry:

+ Only two boards required to make a minimum complete 'circuit' of
continuous running track (single or double track).

+ Baseboard width equates to 2 x 32x32 stud plates and one 16 x 32
plate. Length equates to five 32 stud plates. These are standard sizes,
used in many sets.

+ Size allows for standard track centres at ends (for 'straight'
modules) and also exactly the same offset from edge of baseboard where a
90 degree curve is introduced.

+ By not trying to cram a circuit onto one board, track centres for main
running tracks are well clear of the edge hopefully reducing the chance
of converting the stock into bricks again with every derailment.

and of course (hee hee) :-
+ Module HAD to be 1278mm long to suit the longest available 9v wire
through Shop at Home!!

When I have time, I will get a page together with some drawings. There
is still a lot to decide, e.g. loading gauge standards, but that's not
relevant until we've got something to build on :-)

Anyone care to comment?
--
Tony Priestman