 Local / United Kingdom / 6985
Re: New Civil Engineer - Lego vs Meccano debate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 12:26:12 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Simon Bennett writes:
Dear all.  Thanks for your help.

Here is the completed 300 words.  They've kind of backed me into a corner by
changing the question so it's back to being specifically about degree
courses and I'm not as fiercely anti-Meccano in that arena but I've decided
to send it anyway.  There may be time to change it if anyone has a problem.

Excellent work, Simon. Thank you for taking the time to do this on the
behalf of Lego fans, and especially us Technic-heads. It's well written and
makes some good points.

You made a good point at the end, one I hadn't thought of before. You said
that you're an engineer now because of Lego. This remark is certainly a
strong argument and you can reinforce it with the examples of many others.

So, I'll say that I'm an engineer because of Lego. It taught me many
important mechanical and structural concepts. There may be no calculations
involved in creating a Lego model, but it certainly teaches you those
"common sense" concepts that are a little hard to learn in school.

T. J.