 Local / United Kingdom / 6962
Re: New Civil Engineer - Lego vs Meccano debate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 11:59:18 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Simon Bennett writes:
Second is that they want me as a representative of UKLUG.  May I do this?
Does anyone who posts to loc.uk object and if so should I not do it?  I know
there is no official structure and this may suggest to others that there is,
would that be a problem?

Any help gladly recieved.

Psi

Damn, and I put 'UKAFOL' on all those badges...  Well, you can represent me
and call it 'UKLUG'.  I must admit it sounds a bit more official.

I agree with Thomas's points, but I have one to add myself.  It's not just
great for modelling real concepts (because, let's face it, Meccano can do
this too TO A LIMITED EXTENT).  I think it's strength for use in schools is
that you can learn from it and with it.

Stack some bricks up, see them fall down.  Overlap them next time, and you
get a more solid wall.  Next time, build a buttress or simply go round a
corner for even more strength.  You can learn from your mistakes and improve
as you go along - Meccano is nowhere near this flexible.  Meccano really
punishes a beginner.

Anyone can use Lego.  Children who aren't old enough to speak or even walk
can get the hang of stacking and knocking down toy bricks.

Jason J Railton