 Local / United Kingdom / 5544
Re: Lego disappearing from shops?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 10:46:33 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Lawrence Wilkes writes:
What's it like where you live?
I cant think of one toy store, or other retail outlet, in my area that has
increased it's shelf space for lego in recent times.
Quite the opposite, it seems to be gradually (and in some cases) rapidly
disappearing.
I wonder how coincidental this is with the rise of shop@home in UK?
regards
lawrence

I suspect it's a general loss of business.  I mean, Lego have done a
'Patene' with the Slizer and Roboriders, and are now doing the same with
Bionicle - lots of big bright identikit-packages, with a fixed range, to try
and force the shop to set aside the shelf space to stock the whole range.
So, everything else is pushed aside, and are these selling well enough to
justify it?  Probably not.

Added to that (as said before) competitors are producing sets that Lego
won't - large sculptures, military models, toy soldiers, mecha etc. all at
reasonable prices.  Lego always took the high moral ground on combat toys,
but now there's some competition they're losing out.  An adult buying toys
for kids wants more 'bang for bucks' (to lower my correspondence with an
americanism) - Lego is the expensive, classy end of the market now.  What
are they doing about it?  Well, they've tried merchandising, but Star Wars
is only selling to adult collectors.

I think the one chance they've got to get their business going again is the
Harry Potter license - I'm sure this is going to be huge, but when?  I just
hope that Lego can get themselves noticed again.

Jason.