 Local / United Kingdom / 5558
Re: Lego disappearing from shops?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 14:08:53 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Ian Bishop writes:

What's it like where you live?

In a word, rubbish. Less Lego than ever. We visited Glasgow recently and
very little to be seen there either. I know stocks will be low after
Christmas but the evidence is that this is not the only factor.

I wonder how coincidental this is with the rise of shop@home in UK?

This is only a tiny part of it. Shop@home is very new and I doubt if Joe
public even knows about it yet - its just us die-hards so far.

Lego's direction seems to be dual-pronged - dumbed down action sets,
software et al aimed at today's lobotomised youngsters,

Overall, I agree this has been the trend. Despite that, the LOM sets appear
a little better than recent offerings... there is hope!

plus high-quality
sets featuring real lego parts aimed firmly at the discerning adult buyer
(buying for himself and/or his children).

I am not sure which sets you mean. If you mean the RIS, and related sets, I
must agree. Other than that, there is not much left which excites me.

In this latter respect they've
taken a similar line to British Airways, who no longer market to the
chattering classes, instead concentrating upon the full-fare and first-class
customers who bring in big bucks. Overall sales are lower, but the yield
makes up for it.

Well, last year they did post their worst results since privatised. It is
hard for me to see, long term, how this plan can really work.

Perhaps lego should change their logo too... and then change it back again. :-)

Scott A