 Local / United Kingdom / 4847
Re: Fair warning, I think I'm coming back
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.loc.nz, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 13:29:11 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Scott Arthur writes:

I may have to eat my hat on this. 64 Lefies v 155 Righties:

Thanks for digging that list up. I'd say the Lefties are in large part (but
not all, Sweden the ex and Japan being notable exceptions) former colonies or
at least Commonwealth countries. (Canada being the large exception but think
of how confuddled all the clueless 'murkans who can hardly drive as is would
be if they had to drive on the other side in Canada)...

From:
http://www.travel-library.com/general/driving/drive_which_side.html

One nit here...

Trains (Cars Above)
Left: Australia, Belgium, France, India, Ireland, Italy, Portugal, Sweden,
Switzerland, UK.
Right: Canada, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Hungary, Netherlands, Norway,
Romania, Russia, USA.

The correct answer for USA trains is... IT DEPENDS! There was at least one
class one (C&NW?? I forget) and at least one major commuter operation
that operates (or operated on, C&NW may have switched over after being
absorbed by UP) on the left instead of right. And I believe they got reversed
control stands too.

Great list, though... Thanks Scott!

++Lar