 Local / United Kingdom / 4840
Re: Fair warning, I think I'm coming back
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 11:10:14 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.loc.uk, Jonathon Goldsworthy writes:
I can't help but feel that I should make the effort to meet up with the
legendary Larry P, especially since I work in Bath.
Larry, how long will you be in Bath?

Chalk it up to cluelessness somewhere, but I actually won't be *in* Bath. I
will be in Bournemouth. Which is not all that close to Bath in "english"
distances (although tis just a hop skip and a jump in US distances) so where
my travel department got that it's Bath is a mystery to me.

I will be there all next week arriving Sunday (the 9th I think) during the day
sometime (taking the train from Gatwick after I land) and will be leaving on
Friday afternoon. I haven't decided if I will hire a car and drive  back to
London or take the train.

(I was leery of hiring a car due to you lot driving on the wrong side (most of
the rest of the world drives on the *right* side of the road so you must drive
on the wrong side, eh?) but I did rather well in Oz when I hired a car for the
weekend, I didn't headon with any one and only turned into the wrong lane
once)

I think most of the world drives on the Left... or so I am told. I am pretty
sure that a good deal of Africa, Asia and Ociania do as we. However, I think
that cars were counted - the European way would be in the majority.

If I hire a car I'd be looking for crash space for Friday and or saturday in
the greater South England area (not picky about where exactly), could be Bath
for that matter... or perhaps the Queen will invite me to stay at Windsor
Castle. Or Huw will put me up again, that would be better, he has better toys.

How feasible is it to just pick up and find a place to stay (hotel, inn, B&B)
if you're not too picky about exactly where but aren't all that well
acquainted with the area?

At this time of year you will do well.

In the US you just drive along major highways till
you see a hotel chain sign. That didn't seem to be the case when I was in the
UK last, chain hotels were rather a rarity.

Yep, thats right. Our hotels don't have flashing neon signs. We have planning
regulations here. :-)

Scott A

++Lar