 Local / United Kingdom / 4843
Re: Fair warning, I think I'm coming back
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 11:47:30 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Larry Pieniazek writes:

Chalk it up to cluelessness somewhere, but I actually won't be *in* Bath. I
will be in Bournemouth.

Bournemouth is at least the nicest place in the UK
(then again I used to live there, so I am biased)

(I was leery of hiring a car due to you lot driving on the wrong side (most of
the rest of the world drives on the *right* side of the road so you must drive
on the wrong side, eh?) but I did rather well in Oz when I hired a car for the
weekend, I didn't headon with any one and only turned into the wrong lane
once)

We are planning to change, but will do it in stages to ease the transition.
Trucks will go first, followed a week later by buses, then eventually cars.
(sorry, couldnt resist an old Irish joke)

How feasible is it to just pick up and find a place to stay (hotel, inn, B&B)
if you're not too picky about exactly where but aren't all that well
acquainted with the area? In the US you just drive along major highways till
you see a hotel chain sign. That didn't seem to be the case when I was in the
UK last, chain hotels were rather a rarity.

Quite the opposite. Chain hotels are the predominate form. Just perhaps not so
glaringly obvious as USA.
Many have their individual name, but are really part of a chain.
If you want good but cheap, then look for things like Travel Lodges. Closest
we have to a motel chain.
All the US chains are here too - but tend to be more expensive city centre.
There is also Moat House, Swallow in the mid range.
The Swallow in Bournemouth is nice, just stayed there, but expensive.
This time of year it shouldnt be too difficult to find somewhere without
booking.

regards
lawrence