 Local / United Kingdom / 2029
  Re: e-commerce (was Technic shuttle etc)

What if joe public (non-AFOL) found that site last night. Say he did not know if the deals were good or bad, and placed an order in good faith. Now he expects his items. Is that theft? Scott A (25 years ago, 30-Nov-99, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: e-commerce (was Technic shuttle etc)

(...) Hmm. The technic shuttle was advertised at 59 GBP off, from the original price of 99 GBP. The current price was *obviously* wrong at 4 GBP. So joe public can't do math? It's not theft, but it is (IMHO) unreasonable. The Entertainer made an (...) (25 years ago, 30-Nov-99, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: e-commerce (was Technic shuttle etc)

(...) if (...) his (...) Well- the morals are getting washy here. I was really only responding to the cashier thing, not the toymaster thing. I guess tho, that whether or not knew the deals were good or bad, it seems that when they contact you and (...) (25 years ago, 30-Nov-99, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: e-commerce (was Technic shuttle etc)

(...) I agree. And anyway, after you decide you're going to "hold them to it" and they say "no" it is no longer an ethical question, but a legal one, and here in the States (and it seems in the UK too) the law sides with the "give it back" side. (...) (25 years ago, 30-Nov-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: e-commerce (was Technic shuttle etc)

(...) Or "bait and switch" where they advertise something they don't really have to get you into the store, and then turn around and say, well, we sold out of the $20 TV, but we've got this nice model which is a lot nicer for $500. (25 years ago, 30-Nov-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: e-commerce (was Technic shuttle etc)

(...) I'd like to see this topic pursued a little further. This reference added to my belief that the offer was too good to be true, and contributed to my decision not to place an order. I think that James' "obviously wrong" assertion might be (...) (25 years ago, 30-Nov-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: e-commerce (was Technic shuttle etc)

(...) It wasn't a single instance. Each of the entries on the main page had all three data points (i.e. 'pounds off' 'current price' and 'regular price') In some of the instances, all three lined up, in the rest (the majority) the current price was (...) (25 years ago, 30-Nov-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: e-commerce (was Technic shuttle etc)

(...) And a rather predatory desire on the part of someone to "take advantage" of the mistake. What I've seen on various DVD good deals forums is that the people who are the quickest and most excited (and most open) about exploiting an obvious (...) (25 years ago, 30-Nov-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: e-commerce (was Technic shuttle etc)

(...) ie. "bait'n'switch". It seems to be extremely common with camera shops, and it _can_ get you into trouble - but it takes a lot. And one obviously misentered price doesn't cut it. Same with a $"3.00" Rolex - a "reasonable man" can know that (...) (25 years ago, 6-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: e-commerce (was Technic shuttle etc)

(...) "Well, we sold out of the $230 gray market Nikon FM2n, but we do have this $280 US version - look, it even comes with warranty and everything!" Jasper (25 years ago, 6-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)