 Off-Topic / Debate / 2578
Re: e-commerce (was Technic shuttle etc)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 17:54:06 GMT

Christopher Lannan wrote:

In lugnet.loc.uk, James Brown writes:
In lugnet.loc.uk, Scott Arthur writes:
What if joe public (non-AFOL) found that site last night. Say he did not know
if the deals were good or bad, and placed an order in good faith. Now he
expects his items. Is that theft?

Hmm.  The technic shuttle was advertised at 59 GBP off, from the original
price of 99 GBP.  The current price was *obviously* wrong at 4 GBP.  So joe
public can't do math?

It's not theft, but it is (IMHO) unreasonable.  The Entertainer made an
obvious mistake, and it is not fair to hold them to their 1 digit mistake.

Look at it the other way.  If you bought the shuttle from them and accidently
wrote a cheque for 400 GBP instead of 40, would it be fair for them to hold
you to that?

It was an obvious mistake either way, right?

James

I agree. And anyway, after you decide you're going to "hold them to it" and
they say "no" it is no longer an ethical question, but a legal one, and here
in the States (and it seems in the UK too) the law sides with the "give it
back" side. Folks over here always talk about "false advertising" when they
can't get a product at an advertised price, but this is not false advertising,
as advertised prices are an "invitation to negotiate" or something like that,
in legal speak. "false advertising" refers to making claims about a product
that are untrue. As stated  earlier in this thread, businesses do get in
trouble when it can be shown that they do this a lot and its beginning to look
like it's not a mistake.

Or "bait and switch" where they advertise something they don't really
have to get you into the store, and then turn around and say, well, we
sold out of the $20 TV, but we've got this nice model which is a lot
nicer for $500.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com