 Off-Topic / Debate / 2581
Re: e-commerce (was Technic shuttle etc)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 19:52:43 GMT

James Brown <galliard@shades-of-night.com> wrote:
Maybe my cynicism is showing, but I sensed a sub-theme of "stock up before
they catch the error" in some posts.

Yeah, I'd noticed that too, but decided to be polite about it.  The whole
thread was started with (and I quote) "If you are quick The Entertainer have
missed out a zero"

Which sure implies a mistake on The Entertainer's part.

And a rather predatory desire on the part of someone to "take
advantage" of the mistake.

What I've seen on various DVD good deals forums is that the people
who are the quickest and most excited (and most open) about
exploiting an obvious mistake on a retailer's part are also the
people who make the most noise when some retailer decides to stick
to its guns and not honor a deal based solely on a mistake, usually
to cries of "false advertising!" or "we ought to sue!" etc.

Take the check example - the same person would never dream of it
being right to be held accountable to an extra zero on a check, say
$900 for a DVD box set instead of $90, but that same person might
bitch and moan if the DVD retailer refused to honor a mistaken price
of $9 for the same item.

Again, I've gotten in on some good deals because of retailer
mistakes - don't think I'm playing the saint here.  I'm just not
enough of a hypocrite to condemn those retailers who take a stand
and insist that they shouldn't be forced to take a huge loss because
of a glitch.

I remember one case in which DVDExpress lost an estimated $22,000 in
one evening because of a glitch that allowed a coupon to be used
incorrectly and multiple times.  They didn't honor the deals, nor
should they have - $22,000 might have meant the difference in one of
their phone operators having a job, something people totally
obsessed with getting "the deal" seem to forget.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?
http://www.guarded-inn.com/bricks/