 Local / Israel / 125
Re: time to get what we want
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.il, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 11:02:37 GMT

In lugnet.loc.il, Shiri Dori writes:
Hey guys,

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but there's not much chance of letters like
that helping. I had a chance to talk to a LEGO employee who, IIRC, is pretty
high in the marketing heirarchy, at Brickfest 2001. Her name is Peggy
Connelly (I hope I got her name spelled right), and she explained to me that
the chances of LEGO shipping to Israel are practically zero, because of the
high MECHES (import taxes) and the small market. She was not just talking
about a small AFOL market, but a small children's market, which evidently
they have their sources to check this. I mentioned to her that, very
possibly, not many Israelis buy LEGO since it is so expensive in Israel. She
acknowledged that, but stayed in her position.

MECHES? AFAIK the import tax on toys is only 17% (I checked it when I started
buying Lego on ebay) hardly enough to explain the 100-200% markup we're used to
pay in Israel.

Of course I would love to see S@H in Israel as much as you guys! But after
this discussion I see very little hope for that happening. :-(  (I'm usually
a very optimistic person.) Plus, the people reading these letters or
answering the phones, are not likely in any kind of position to make a
difference. Their influence is probably very little...

That is, of course, just my opinion, and you can feel free to continue
trying. :-)  Just my 2 agorot. :-)

I suspect you are right :-(
The chances are virtually zero, although I think it's for all the wrong
reasons. I mean - I don't think they have to wait for a new technological
breakthrough in order to write "ISRAEL" on the package. I think the main
problem is legal stuff to do with the rights of the local importer [1].

That's a shame because I think the importer is doing a poor job (although it's
possible I'm not seeing the big picture) with the marketing of Lego in Israel.
I agree with Yaron's observations - Lego becomes rarer and rarer, you mostly
see Bionicles and similar c*** and Lego usually sits with clone brands to the
point it's hard to tell the difference. And of course - the price, the price,
the price.

I think Lego is simply comfortable leaving the situation as it is, probably
thinking that the market in Israel is too small to bother with. They might be
right, but I have no doubt it could be much larger with proper marketing and
pricing.
IMO, The current situation is bad for Lego and for the children in Israel.

-Shiri
P.S. David, good to see you're back! How was - New Zealand, I think? Boy,
that was a long time ago... Are you still living in Jerusalem?

Don't get me started, NZ was absolutely amazing! I miss it every day.
Extremely nice people, calm beyond belief (at least for an Israeli) and
probably the most beautiful place on earth.
Trekking, bungy, sky diving - you name it, I did it all.

Ahhhhhhh.

I'm still in Jerusalem although I did move to a new place.

Are you in the states? For how long?

Wishing I could also attend Brickfest,
- David

[1] I'm not sure but I think it's Kaufman something.